Sign in to follow this  
creed

waterproofing clothing

Anyone used any of the wash in "waterproofing" products out there? I am too tight to buy high dollar pants and was looking for something to add just a bit of water repellency to my pants. I have used some of the spray on stuff like Camp Dry with mixed results. Any early elk hunt I have been on has usually had either a heavy dew or rain. I get soaked from the knees down sometimes to the point of water getting into my boots.

Creed,when i'm guiding in NM I wear Muck boots in the mornings,and regular boots in the afternoons.I tuck my pants in the muck boots,and I'm the only one that doesn't end up with wet boots,and pants wet up to your knees from the tall grass.This is on the hunts in Sept.Oct.Hope this helps.

I have had very good success using the silicone and mineral spirits treatment. I treat from the knee down. I also do my hats and lightweight gloves.

Lightweight gaiters work great for those dewy mornings also.

I mix the silicone and mineral spirits in a plastice jar like an old peanut butter jar. I use a bent wire clothes hangr and hand drill to mix it and break down the silicone. Lots of recipes on the interweb. I typically use about 1 tube of silicone to one quart of spirits. The clear odorless spirits in the metal can, not the milky stuff in the plastic. I do about half a bottle at a time. Whatever is manageable.

After it is mixed apply with a paintbrush. I just slop it on. I squeeze and squish it in to ensure it is soaked through. Get all seams good. Hang to dry. Oh, and don't for get tout treat the seat of the pants!

After a few days of curing wash with sportwash or similar and then dry. Dryer seems to set it in.

Sounds like a lot more work than it really is.

Once cured washed dried leaves zero odor.

I mix the silicone and mineral spirits in a plastice jar like an old peanut butter jar. I use a bent wire clothes hangr and hand drill to mix it and break down the silicone. Lots of recipes on the interweb. I typically use about 1 tube of silicone to one quart of spirits. The clear odorless spirits in the metal can, not the milky stuff in the plastic. I do about half a bottle at a time. Whatever is manageable.

After it is mixed apply with a paintbrush. I just slop it on. I squeeze and squish it in to ensure it is soaked through. Get all seams good. Hang to dry. Oh, and don't for get tout treat the seat of the pants!

After a few days of curing wash with sportwash or similar and then dry. Dryer seems to set it in.lubricant lubricant in a tube

Sounds like a lot more work than it really is.

Once cured washed dried leaves zero odor.

Like silicone lube in a tube or like silicone caulking? Does it affect breathability?

Tube. 100% clear silicone. Not caulk.

Yes, it will affect breathability which is why I only do from knee down. Never made it feel hot though. Works better on some cloth than on others. Stiffens it up and makes it heavier and a little louder. Not uncomfortable or really that much louder though.

Basically saturates the weave of the material and seals it up.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I've never had any luck with the wash in or spray on waterproofing. It always flakes off or doesn't work worth a dang. I wear rubber boots if it's raining and gaiters When it is moist but not raining very hard.

The gaiters keep my pants dry and keep mud and rocks out of my boots. I never leave home without them.