Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Firing pin not striking primer hard enough to ignite

Gun scrubber is a great de-greaser and doesn't harm plastic or other materials. I would recommend not using anything WD-40 on any firearm part. That crap will collect more dirt and cause more issues than anything. I like to use Ballistol for lubing firing pin springs or even bolts in general. Great stuff that won't gum up even in cold.

As an experiment the last couple of strikers assemblies that I cleaned I reassembled with a dry graphite powder lubricant. It's a product commonly used to lubricate lock tumblers where you really do not want anything to get gummy or collect dirt. So far so good.

A lot of times I use WD-40 to start a cleaning, but finish with other stuff. I often spray the bore of a barrel with WD-40 to get a solvent/lubricant in there and punch it with a brush to break up the big stuff and get it out. Then I work with a cleaning solvent to finish the clean.

Brake Cleaner and carb cleaner can mess up a gun though depending on the parts. I used to have a Marlin M-60 .22LR. My dads cousin talked him into using 1 of the 2 to clean guns with and when he sprayed that in the action of that model 60 it melt some of the plastic parts. Then I had a walking stick with a .22 caliber hole in the end.

Susceptible to moisture would be a problem. I got some on my fingers a while back lubing a locked. It seems like an interesting possibility. The link to the test you posted looks interesting. Looks like I have reading material for a rain day on the upcoming hunt. Thanks