Sign in to follow this  
brademan76

Dirt/Trail Bike for getting into remote areas

I know lots of guys use side by sides and quads to get where they want to go, but I'm a minimalist- I don't have space to store atvs or a big trailer and I drive an SUV not a truck so no option to throw a quad and ramps in the back. My SUV is a 4x4 but its not a tricked out jeep and as you all know there are many roads that quickly become impassable in anything but a rock crawler...

I'm seriously considering getting a dirt bike or trail bike that I can throw on a motorcycle carrier hitch or just loading onto a cargo hitch that I already own and being able to yank it off once the road runs out, load up everything that I need on my back and get to where I want to go.

Question becomes, does anyone who uses this method have any advice? I'm not new to motorcycles, but I have never had a dirt/motocross style bike so I truly don't know which make or model would be the best option for this application and my build. I'm 6'3" and 210lbs, so I don't know if a 125 would be too small or if at minimum I need to be considering a 250 or what size of 4-stroke I should be looking at, etc. Knowing that too much power could be detrimental what would be "too much"? If the route becomes particularly nasty I can walk along side it to where the trail becomes less treacherous to ride again.

I would also like to be able to put some sort of rack/platform on the back to strap gear or even a platform to take my dog back into areas for quail.

I know this post is all over the place, so any input from any angle would be appreciated

Thanks

• Like 1

I have used a 125 Enduro for MANY years. Low gear ratio is key for the type of riding your talking about. Light weight and quiet, easy for one person to toss around. Lots of fun. Wear a helmet. Some bad crashes happen going slow.

Backpack for rifle or scabbard mounted to bike. I prefer the backpack. I strapped a milk crate to the back for extra stuff. They make rack extensions too.

• Like 1

Any dual sport bike would be good, I have used my motocross bike a few times but it's just for scouting, I suggest like a dr400 Suzuki or kdx made by Kawasaki, you can find them used for a decent price. Street legal with lights is the way to go, you never know when you will need to ride out at night or go in at night. Definitely you want to carry everything on the pack and not on the bike, it's easy for items to get tossed strapped to the bike, on your back your body eats up the bumps and jostles, 4 stroke would be the best so you don't have to mess with mixed fuel and if for some reason you had to detour you could get gas anywhere. I have often though of hunting like this but plan on being solo , it's tuff to find others to tag along with the same set up.

• Like 1

Honda trail 90-110 were great bikes for this.

If you have not ridden on the dirt it is different than street. I have guys I ride with on road who can pull wheelies and stoppies and can barley ride down a dirt road. Be safe.

I grew up hunting from trail bikes and they can be very useful

• Like 2

Thanks for the input, guys. Why the dual sport street legal? Is dual-sport the same thing as "Enduro"? Is it the way a dual sport is geared that would make it more applicable to this scenario?

Yes this would be for solo hunting only.

WTF is this? "...once the road runs out"

I may be wrong but once to road runs out you walk.

Don't be so literal. If you read my entire post you'd understand what I meant.

If you spend any time in more remote areas you know there are plenty of roads (open roads) that continue for a long way after they become washed out and impassable in most highway vehicles.

I spend plenty of time hiking into wilderness areas after the roads truly end with everything on my back.

GTFO and come back if you have some productive input.

• Like 3

I would look no further than the Yamaha TW200. Here is a link: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/dual-sport/models/tw200

I've seen these bikes perform in some nasty Idaho terrain and they do great. You can purchase a lot of different accessories for these bikes, including scabbards and racks for hauling meat. These are really popular in Idaho where there is a lot of really steep single track trails. There is a TW200 forum where you can get a lot of info on the bikes and their accessories.

Another option, although it is a trail only bike, would be a Rokon.

• Like 2

Great input, thanks! Honestly, I'll probably be looking for something used but the models you guys have suggested will be what I'll be searching CL for! :)

Thanks for the input, guys. Why the dual sport street legal? Is dual-sport the same thing as "Enduro"? Is it the way a dual sport is geared that would make it more applicable to this scenario?

Yes this would be for solo hunting only.

Dual sport, enduro, street legal, all about the same thing. The common vernacular nowadays is "dual sport". The advantage is that you can drive them LEGALLY on any road. Get your OHV tag on it as well and you are gtg for all ohv roads as well. There are 3 different kinds of registrations available for motorcycles/utvs. Full highway legal allows you to drive on all the forest roads LEGALLY. The dual sport bikes are set up to be legal for this with front lights, tail light, license bracket and light etc...

Most(but not all) are also geared to be a little more mild driving.

• Like 1

I used to see guys use those "Fat Cat" bikes. Basically a small 2 wheeled bike with quad tires. Most used it to shed hunt off-road unfortunately, but I've seen tracks from them in impossibly rough and remote stuff. Literally go anywhere. Don't think they make them anymore, but you could likely find one somewhere.

• Like 1

I used to see guys use those "Fat Cat" bikes. Basically a small 2 wheeled bike with quad tires. Most used it to shed hunt off-road unfortunately, but I've seen tracks from them in impossibly rough and remote stuff. Literally go anywhere. Don't think they make them anymore, but you could likely find one somewhere.

I'm definitely not looking to go off designated roads/trails with the bikes, but thanks for the input on the mini bikes.

I'm definitely not looking to go off designated roads/trails with the bikes, but thanks for the input on the mini bikes.

Understood, didn't intend to infer. The size and capability seem ideal for your purpose.

• Like 1

Just looked em up... The Honda TR200 (fat cat) and Yamaha BW200 (Big Wheel) sure look pretty cool and fun, but not sure how they'd work out for a bigger guy like me. I think the dual sport bikes might be a little more practical.