Sign in to follow this  
brademan76

Dirt/Trail Bike for getting into remote areas

Just looked em up... The Honda TR200 (fat cat) and Yamaha BW200 (Big Wheel) sure look pretty cool and fun, but not sure how they'd work out for a bigger guy like me. I think the dual sport bikes might be a little more practical.

Not really. You might want to look at the two in person before you write them off. We used to use totegotes back in the day.

• Like 1

If you see a XR 100 they make a great bike for your purpose. Change the front sprocket to lower the gear ratio.

If you see a XR 100 they make a great bike for your purpose. Change the front sprocket to lower the gear ratio.

I used to have an XR200 in college. That thing was awesome. It would do 70 on the highway and had plenty of torque for my fat butt. The thing was bullet proof. Sold it when I had a kid. Should have kept the bike.

Thanks for the help, guys. I found a guy with great deals on a 93 kdx200 and a 00 xr100. The xr100 was just too small for me and I'm afraid it would be way too overloaded with me plus a heavy pack. I picked up the kdx.

Hopefully this thread will help out someone else in the future!

Check this out! I'm getting one now just for this reason alone.

That might work in unit 10, but good luck in 27.

• Like 1

Here it is. Got it last night in the dark-needs the fluids topped off or changed but otherwise seems good to go.

post-13527-0-50736600-1504111012_thumb.jpg

I had a yamaha big wheel growing up , it was a fun bike. Isn't that a two stroke bike? I would think you would rather need / have a 4 stroke for what you described.

Rokon, works well and you can add a side cart if needed.

how does one post links?

Those Rokons look awesome. The price tag though? Not awesome. Could buy used ranger for the same price

Took it out Sat 9/2 and learned a lot about going up steep, nasty, rocky, washed out roads. Tough to keep the necessary momentum with the fear of bringing the front up and falling back. Luckily no major drops or falls and the bike seemed to handle it all in stride.

One scary moment when I was riding along and there was a pop and i completely lost compression... thought I blew a hole right through the cylinder or something, but somehow the spark plug had vibrated completely loose and poppped out. After letting it cool down and finger tightening it, I was able to continue for the rest of the trek.

Was able to get back into an area that doesn't seem like many do and got a couple of cameras set up. Can't wait to go check em!

• Like 4

Those Rokons look awesome. The price tag though? Not awesome. Could buy used ranger for the same price

looks like a good way to bust my butt and break some high dollar equipment.