Sign in to follow this  
turbo

coues up close

When this deer stopped trying to figure me out, I slowly pulled back and let the arrow fly. 11 yards between us. I aimed at heart, he being a bit uphill. Arrow went through paunch, liver, and cut an artery near the heart. He piled up about 70 yards away.

(Homemade bow, mulefat arrow about 550 grains. I thought I might hold for my pistol tag in December, but this felt right.) Note. ASAT seems to work. I had a Buff neck scarf and a woodland boonie on with the ASAT. This deer and his bud just could not figure me out. I shot basically sitting on one leg.)

post-11996-0-65541400-1503985648_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Well done! Dig. The old schoolady equipment too!

Ya knnow, if it weren'the for the deer in the picture it looks like you got caught with your pants around your ankles pinching a deuce.

Dang that close you should have just stabbed it! Good job

Needed to be close. Here is the story:

The bow I used is the third bow I made, in 2012, from a hickory board. Thank you Arizona for letting me use sub-40 pound bows. Around August 1st, I found my archer's tendon revisiting me as I shot my favorite 50# plus bow; bow arm is shaking. "Sad" as the Prez would tweet. I had to craft and tune new arrows to the only bow I could shoot right handed string hand and not shake. I shot that deer at around 24" draw, sorta sitting position, so about 36 pound draw weight. Slow, but quiet.

Believe me that set of arrows, 550 grain to 560 grains, were flying below 145 feet per second. So I had to be close. Coues are tough with any bow. I picked a place that would provide set ups below 20 yards.

Skill and luck.

(speaking of spears, kinda makes we want to try an atlatl in Missouri, lol.)

post-11996-0-07317800-1504240831_thumb.jpg

post-11996-0-75725700-1504241872_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's just too awesome. I bought a longbow last year with the hope of trying a trad hunt this year but I never really found time to practice with it. Shame. Maybe in January, I know some ambush spots that could get me a fifteen yard shot.

Helluva an accomplishment congrats again.