Sign in to follow this  
creedhunting

Unit 1 Bull Tag, Late Archery - Gonna do it!

What's up CW Nation..

You might know me from Instagram @creed_hunting. My passion is giving bows away to youth who may not ever have the opportunity to shoot a bow or learn the outdoors. We just gave our 15th bow away to young man who lost everything in a house fire. I have a passion for giving back and seeing the next generation of hunters learn the great outdoors. DM me so I can follow you on instragram! Love watching and learning from AZ hunters.

Anyway, enough about me..I have a late archery tag in UNIT 1. This is my 2nd late tag. Had one in 4A a few years back and it kicked the crap out of me. Rude introduction to elk hunting. Almost ruined me, so hard and cold...now when I see people post about their late hunts I feel bad for them, because unless you've experienced it, you have no idea what you are in for! So hard! However, this year I am committed to making it happen. I really believe harvesting any bull on the late hunt is a trophy that I could be proud of for a lifetime. I'm gonna make it happen!

Okay, so the reason for my post is to continue my learning....I've read, watched just about everything, and talked to previous tag holders... but I'd love to hear from anyone who's had a late archery bull elk tag and experienced hunters who just know... I'd love for this thread to not be about responding, "its hard, good luck". No offese, we know that. But more focused on first hand experience..... How did you prepare before the hunt and what did you learn during the hunt? What would you say to a newer hunter who has this tag for the first time or 2nd time?

Here's what I've learned: Get in shape both physically and mentally. Have the right gear for multiple weather conditions (could be cold and even warm), know your unit, good map, find multiple glassing spots, have a plan if it snows, use cams but not until mid oct (get passed some of the early hunts), recruit as many as possible to help glass (open invitation for my hunt, haha), scout as much as possible leading up to opening day to help locate bulls, glass south facing if its cold - north facing if its warm, find thick dark timber that has food/protection/water near by....

If you have the same tag, lets connect!

Kevin

What I learned was practice in you winter gear, i.e. jackets, gloves,beanie. I think its often over looked on the late hunts until you get there and realize technique or even ability to draw back is is very different when your all bundled up.

• Like 4

What I learned was practice in you winter gear, i.e. jackets, gloves,beanie. I think its often over looked on the late hunts until you get there and realize technique or even ability to draw back is is very different when your all bundled up.

That's really good advice. Thanks for the pointer.

To be clear, you don't have to have the unit 1 hunt to contribute. I'd love anyone who has had a late archery tag in AZ to feel free to respond.

Look for food. When the high stufff freezes they move. When it snows they move. I have that tag and depending on my amount of vacation time I like my chances very much of getting a large bull. The bull in my avatar is from a late season 3c archery tag.

• Like 1

I don't have much experience hunting elk early or late, but..... I do know about hunting in the cold. I almost fell out of a tree in Nebraska a couple years ago because my hands got so dang cold I couldn't feel them well enough to grip the ladder. Bring the chemical hand warmers and a hand muff, good gloves, warmest socks you can find, quality boots, etc. The same problem could just as well effect your feet. Bring/do whatever you have to to stay warm! Whether can change fast, and you don't want anything chasing you back to camp to warm up.

• Like 1

I have never done an elk hunting unit 1. Before the wallow Fire are used to spend the last week of August in 1 & 27 for archery deer and turkey. I have seen it snow there a number of times in August. I've also done a number of spring and fall turkey hunts in those mountains. The weather can be very volatile and change rapidly. Imagine the temperature dropping 30 degrees midday within a half an hour. Make sure you have what you need to keep yourself comfortable so you can enjoy the hunt.

I drew my first late archery this year 3A 3C and i am really looking forward to the hunt. That being said, i was out quite a bit last year at that time and like everyone is saying, depending on weather, i think it could be pretty good or really bad.

Lots of variables for sure. I cant count the amount of shots i have missed in my life due to a wardrobe malfunction. Lol

• Like 1