Jazz

Calf In distress

Still pretty new to the elk game. I hear a good option for calling in cow is to use a calf in distress.

What are some of the better ones on the market?

(Any other calls that work well?) For mid Oct youth hunt..

Cow tag? Don't bother with a call unless you are using it to stop a moving animal. Find elk, steady cross hairs, wrap tag and ground process animal.

• Like 4

Still pretty new to the elk game. I hear a good option for calling in cow is to use a calf in distress.

What are some of the better ones on the market?

(Any other calls that work well?) For mid Oct youth hunt..

A calf in distress does work, we were out calling for lion and a cow came within 20 yards of my shooter, and 35 yards from me. I have called in deer as well but you will also spook a lot of game. If I had a cow tag spot & stalk, ambush, still hunting, lots of glassing would be preferred over calling.

Ideally, I'd be on top of a hill and glass them up.

Not always an option though. the thing is, I can't even find one for sale. There's a lot of "Calf Calls" but I think I'd like a "Calf in distress" option. The closest thing I could find is a Baby Hoochie.

Ideally, I'd be on top of a hill and glass them up.

Not always an option though. the thing is, I can't even find one for sale. There's a lot of "Calf Calls" but I think I'd like a "Calf in distress" option. The closest thing I could find is a Baby Hoochie.

Any open reed call will make a deer fawn/elk calf in distress sound, all the does/cow elk I have called in happened when I was out calling for mtn. lion.