Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Drones for locating downed/lost game

Still thinking..

Scenario.

Hunter shoots elk. Has GPS coordinates of initial hit, last sighting or last blood, call G&F and they have an employee, contractor or authorized volunteer pull it up on Google Earth. They then spend 5 minutes in a program to lay out a search grid including paying special attention to culverts, washes, rock piles or any other odd feature. Email program back to drone operator, launch drone and initialize program.. It could in reality all happen in less than 10 minutes. The drone then only flies that pattern, can be put on "pause" if something interesting is viewed and of course, the video can be reviewed at night and if something is seen, the GPS coordinates are right there for follow up on foot. If the animal is found, go to manual mode or just return to home. Since the flight of the drone is recorded, it can be verified that the drone didn't go peeping into windows at the ranch on the adjoining property.

I realize this will NEVER happen but the software exists and would be easy to do. Just ask the 6th grader down the street. They are already doing it.

The technology has existed for many years in the form of the Tomahawk cruise missile.

True, but even for the $1,000,000.00/pop, Amazon won't deliver those to your doorstep.. I like the $1,000.00 toy delivered to my door and the free download option better.

Just put gps in your arrow. If it sticks you can track it. Your welcome to whoever has the cash to implement this idea!

I'll save ya the attorneys fees. According to F&G, it's illegal to attach a tracking device to an animal.

Just put gps in your arrow. If it sticks you can track it. Your welcome to whoever has the cash to implement this idea!

I'll save ya the attorneys fees. According to F&G, it's illegal to attach a tracking device to an animal.
their attached to the arrow that kills the animal lol

they already have this it's like 700 bucks for the initial set up from what I was told

$30 for 1. I might give this a shot..

..and then go find it.

Wow. I thought the linked trail cameras were a bad thing for us less well healed hunters. A drone in the air during hunting season is a bad idea no matter what it is up there for except maybe search and rescue or fire fighting. SSS just became SS as the drone parts will mix in with the Mylar balloons and hopefully mostly degrade faster. No need to dig.