az4life

Best Choice for Varmint rifle

I am in the market for a new varmint rifle. Mainly to use on Prairie dogs, Yotes and such. Lots of potential shots of little prairie dogs out to 200 or more yards.

Never had time or inclination for such a gin before now, so opinions are welcome!

If you reload a 22-250 is awsome, the only problem with them is the barrel jumps just enough to not see the p-dog flip through the air. 223 are also fun with no barrel jump and cheaper ammo. Honestly at 200yards I have shot a lot of p -dogs with a 17rem.

Hope this helped

Gabe

I think both the .22-250 and the .223 are great calibers for that but my favorite varmint gun is the .243. Its flat shooting and you can reach out and touch those little guys and yotes at further distances and its always nice to have a back up coues rifle just incase something happens.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 204 Ruger being a great PD cartridge, and works on yotes too.

http://204ruger.com/204_overview.php

Cooper makes a very accurate rifle in 204, however it is a single shot. This should not be a problem anyway shooting PD as I have always removed the brass and loaded cartridges singly with the Rem 700 22-250 so as not to throw the brass which I reload. My next rifle purchase may likely be a Cooper in 204

http://cooperfirearms.com/our_rifles.html

I really like my 22-250 shot a few coyotes with it out to 200 yards

and they never took a step, its not too expensive to shoot. I recently

bought a .17 hmr and that is one fun gun to shoot. Its very accurate

and would be great for prarie dogs out to any range I wouldnt shoot coyotes

past 75-100 yards, good luck and nock down some critters!!!

22.250 was what I first thought too, but had some interest in the .17hmr. Just do not know anyone with one or what make to compare.

I wouldnt shoot a 17hmr, its a rimfire and would make you limit your shots to perfect broadside shots with in probably 75 yards. not what im in to as i have taken many a coyote after they had seen me *read as running straight away*

I personally like to use my .300 win mag, not only does it give me time behind the trigger of my primary hunting rifle it also does quite a number on yotes and PD's. Nothing like having confidence in your rifle when it's down to crunch time.

204 ruger in sako 85 varmint....pretty hard to beat...kimber.....cooper...dakota all good names.... 22-250 223 220 221 all good rounds.

Ive got a Kimber 84m varmint 22-250... LOVE IT!! lifted a jack rabbit a foot and a half off the ground ar 425 yards one day.