Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

Stupid scope ring qurstion

What makes the price differnce in the vortex rings for $50 a set or the precision for $130? Tighter tolerance ? Better material?

I have a set of the precision rings on my rifle and they feel like they have tighter tolerance than the run of the mill rings. I also have a nightforce mounted with them so I wanted to make sure it holds. In my opinion they are worth the money.

Higher quality material and work precise Machining would be the two main reasons. Place a pair of alignment gauges in a high-end pair of rings that have not been lapped and they will often align. In the cheaper rings they often will not and quite a bit of lapping is required to achieve alignment.

The Precision line are definitely higher quality. They are made by Seekins and Vortex puts their name on them.

Are high quality rings less likely to leave ring marks of crush the tube? I've wondered this myself.

I killed 2 birds and went with hawkins rings with level built in to top half of ring. Unless your running a 1 tube you might check them out. I got one set from longrangeonly.com and another set from redhawkrifles.com

Are high quality rings less likely to leave ring marks of crush the tube? I've wondered this myself.

you should not have Crush marks in the scope tube from the Rings. If this occurs it's an indication that the Rings were not machined to the proper diameter and or the two bores do not align. I would check any ring with alignment gauges before mounting a scope to make sure that does not happen. I've never encountered a set of high-quality rings that were not well aligned I've rarely encountered a set of low-quality rings that were well aligned. With machine work you get what you pay for.
  • Like 1