Sign in to follow this  
WampusCat

Outdoorsman's Bino Adapter wobble fix

I have tried many different systems for mounting bino's to a tripod and hands down my favorite is the Outdoorsman's bino adapter system.

It has one trait that drives me crazy as it would be perfect if I could fix it. It's really a tiny problem but I want to eliminate it.

The design of the system allows the binos to pivot, or swing, or wobble back and forth around the axis of the stud.

Has anyone ever figured out a way to "snug" them up when mounted?

post-11266-0-98557200-1510069696_thumb.jpg

Tightening the "nut" prevents the ball detents from being depressed. It applies zero tension to the stud inside of the adapter.

I adjust the pan tension to hold steady but light enough to bump over to the next field of view with the bridge of my nose when glassing. Occasionally it pivots the binos. Not the end of the world just wondering if someone found an easy fix.

• Like 2

Mine did the same thing. I took the binos to the Outdoorsmans and they fixed something inside the threaded portion of the BINOs, where the stud threads into, with loctite. Told me you are not supposed to leave the adapter connected to the binos while in your pack.

• Like 1

Wampuscat, there is always going to be movement side to side in the binocular but it should not be the same with the knurled knob tightened down. If the movement is unchanged when you tighten the knob, check to make sure your stud isn't moving in the bino itself. Make sure to tighten down the set screw on the flange of the stud once the stud is in the bino.

If you have any more questions feel free to call us here at the shop 1-800-291-8065.

Thank you!

Jake

• Like 1

I have not tried it yet, but I am thinking of trying a small rubber o-ring. Place the o-ring over the stud and it will get pinched between the mount and bino when you mount the binoculars. This should place enough tension to prevent the rotational motion. Now I just have to find a small o-ring..

Please post if you find an alternative.

Chris

Wampuscat, there is always going to be movement side to side in the binocular but it should not be the same with the knurled knob tightened down.

Thanks Jake,

I torqued it down and it significantly helped. Also looked into the guts a bit and see that I was wrong about the mechanics of the adapter and knurled adjustment. I always just ran it down till it touched the bottom as I thought it only kept the adapter from depressing to release the stud.

I may try the O-ring idea to lock it up even more too.