Sign in to follow this  
Ryan&Amy

whats a karp?

Why do they call mule deer karp. is it cause they are nasty just like the carp fish?

Actually a true carp's full common name is "rock carp." It has real horns (and not antlers) that leave its head and curl up, down and around. Mother Nature screwed up in designing those horns because a mature rock carp must constantly rub their tips to keep them from blocking its side vision. A rock carp perpetually wears a dumb look on its face and its teeth are almost always showing, even when its mouth is closed, kind of like that "what me worry?" guy in Mad magazine. As a rock carp gets older its butt gets more pointed, its knees get knobbier, and its belly bloats, even though its ribs may be showing. Its scrotum is so big it has to be careful not to step on it when getting up. If it weren't for its horns the rock carp would be downright ugly. As for its wariness, certain taxonomists actually have published papers proposing to change the scientific name for its genus from Ovis to Dumbis.

Bill Quimby

:D

Thanks for the question i wondered that myself. So what about calling a deer a "Toad"? What is that all about?

thanks

Actually a true carp's full common name is "rock carp." It has real horns (and not antlers) that leave its head and curl up, down and around. Mother Nature screwed up in designing those horns because a mature rock carp must constantly rub their tips to keep them from blocking its side vision. A rock carp perpetually wears a dumb look on its face and its teeth are almost always showing, even when its mouth is closed, kind of like that "what me worry?" guy in Mad magazine. As a rock carp gets older its butt gets more pointed, its knees get knobbier, and its belly bloats, even though its ribs may be showing. Its scrotum is so big it has to be careful not to step on it when getting up. If it weren't for its horns the rock carp would be downright ugly. As for its wariness, certain taxonomists actually have published papers proposing to change the scientific name for its genus from Ovis to Dumbis.

Bill Quimby

Ouch Bill, you sure have a grudge against those poor old sheep! I can't really argue with you there, but I still think they are amazing the way they move in that steep country!

Amanda

One thing that sheep are great at is being able to climb up a flat rock surface without slipping! The other thing that amazes me is how they can magically see through rock! :D

Bill Quimby

Ouch Bill, you sure have a grudge against those poor old sheep! I can't really argue with you there, but I still think they are amazing the way they move in that steep country!

Amanda

No grudge, and I would never discount the agility of sheep or their sure-footedness, but the many members of the goat family have sheep beat a thousand ways when it comes moving around in steep country and slick rocks. I saw Himalayan tahr, alpine chamois and feral goats in New Zealand and Rocky Mountain goats in Nevada and Idaho go places a wild sheep would never dream of going. When I shot my tahr my guide slapped my back and did everything but dance a jig. When I said aw shucks it wasn't a difficult shot, he said mine was the first client's tahr that he would not need ropes to reach!

Bill Quimby

I never understood using carp for mulies. I have hunted both, and have seen and gotten close to the same number of each WT and mulie. I find them both to be amazing animals, and worthy of their praises. I have to admit though, this comes from someone who has taken more than a few WT and only had a couple of messed up stalks on mulies (bowhunting) so my desire for a mulie is pretty high. One has big ole antlers, and one has a mistique about them. Only been hunting the SW for 3 years, still waitintg for a MD tag. Thank god for OTC archery :rolleyes:

Mulies, AKA Karp, are unmistakeably trusting and slow to make a decision until they get to be about 3 1/2 years old. Then they change. I hunted them in Colorado a short time ago. We went 4 days early to scout. (I've scouted it for 5 years and finally drew. Figured it was a no brainer.) Instead of 3 to 5 feet of snow pushing them down off the higher peaks there was no snow and temps in the 50's and 60's. They were still at 10,000 to 11,000 feet with the sheep. I actually had a 7/8 curl ram come in while rattling my antlers. No mulies though. Two days before the season temps fell and it snowed and rained. We saw some monsters that day, one pushing does. It went back to 60 degrees and they laid up and didn't move during the day. Just watched us pant and probably got up and slipped around us without our knowledge. We could've shot some little ones but that's not why we went there. I've shot some pretty good ones and none of them seemed too stupid. They taste good during bowseason or later if they are gaining condition and eating pinion nuts or acorns. They aren't born paranoid and spooky like whitetails. They usually don't duck an arrow either like whietails. But you know what, I really like both of them.

Mark

Here's a Karp we call Droppy and his friend. They are at 12 yards. Two and a half years old and used to seeing me walk up to them.

post-2095-1197132707_thumb.jpg

Carp is just a name for mule deer that is used by Whitetail hunters to be a bit snobby and elitist about our love for the amazing Coues deer. I don't know if it's because carp are not considered desireable fish (although in Europe they are highly-prized and the equivalent of our trout in terms of popularity) or if because carp are bottom feeders. I assume it refers to the less-desirable aspect.

Anyway, someone here (Coueshunter, I think) once said it's just the same old "Ford vs Chevy" way of poking fun and being competitive.

here is a bumper sticker I made up long ago. It still cracks me up!!

post-1-1197138448_thumb.jpg

Amanda