justinspe25

Where did the term "Toad" come from?

There was another post about "Karp" in another catagory so it made we wonder where the term "Toad" came from. Can anybody provide an explanation for this newbie?

Thanks,

It's just an adjective used to describe a big ol' buck or bull etc. Pig, Hog, Toad, Beast etc. all mean the same thing - take your safety off and find a rest.

"Carp" is the one I don't get. A nice tall racked 4x4 muley is one of the most attractive trophies a guy can get, in my opinion. Don't get comaring them to a trash fish. I've never hunted deer with a rifle, but I can say that I haven't exactly found muleys to be a push-over with a bow.

The only thing i strugle to understand is were does a DANDY fall in the line up.

just make sure you do not ever use the term dink on here. people will be all over you like white on rice.

It's crazy how one person can use a word to describe a trophy critter and once his buddy, and his buddy's buddy start using it, in no time guys several states away will be using the same word. TOAD started that way, because it wasn't long ago when I remember hearing it the first time and now it's probably got the "new" definition by it in the dictionary! Here's a few more.......monster, whopper, freak, freaknasty, shooter, stud, and one that I keep using lately.....stallion ( i think that came from Grong, he's always got some new words! ). None of them actually mean what you are describing, but it get's the point across regardless.

Oh and by the way Grong......."Dinglecheese" still cracks me up! LOL!

It's crazy how one person can use a word to describe a trophy critter and once his buddy, and his buddy's buddy start using it, in no time guys several states away will be using the same word. TOAD started that way, because it wasn't long ago when I remember hearing it the first time and now it's probably got the "new" definition by it in the dictionary! Here's a few more.......monster, whopper, freak, freaknasty, shooter, stud, and one that I keep using lately.....stallion ( i think that came from Grong, he's always got some new words! ). None of them actually mean what you are describing, but it get's the point across regardless.

Oh and by the way Grong......."Dinglecheese" still cracks me up! LOL!

Dinglecheese?????? What or Who is that!!! Sound like a good name for a younghunter!!!!! :lol: :lol: :P

I still get a lot of funny looks from guys when I call an elk rub a Whoop'in Stick! or Whipp'in Stick! Hope there are others that us this to so I'm not letting out a family secret or something! :P :P

toad

noun

1 a tailless amphibian with a short stout body and short legs, typically having dry warty skin that can exude poison. • Several families in the order Anura, in particular Bufonidae, which includes the common toad ( Bufo bufo).

2 a contemptible or detestable person (used as a general term of abuse) : you're an arrogant little toad.

3. an Arizona Coues white-tailed deer, mule deer, or elk with antlers larger than average. Also may describe pronghorn antelope with above-average horns. First used in 1987 by John R. T. O’Malley while hunting in the Santa Rita Mountains: “Fortunately, I missed all four shots at that ol’ toad with huge horns and was able to shoot this delicious spike buck instead.” (see definitions No. 1 and 2.)

:P

i have been using the term "thumper" lately along with toad, donkey, choker, fatty, Hoss ect

Tortuga, aint that right gabe ;)

And yes, I know it means turtle on espanol!

Dinglecheese?????? What or Who is that!!! Sound like a good name for a younghunter!!!!! :lol: :lol: :P

I still get a lot of funny looks from guys when I call an elk rub a Whoop'in Stick! or Whipp'in Stick! Hope there are others that us this to so I'm not letting out a family secret or something! :P :P

I will try to work in a "whoop'in stick" a couple times next season, to keep you from feelin silly. ;)

Tortuga, aint that right gabe ;)

TORTUUUGA!!! THATS RIGHT CASEY, HOPEFULLY WE CAN FIND ONE OF THOSE

VERY RARELY SEEN ANIMALS ON YOUR DECEMBER HUNT!!!!!

And yes, I know it means turtle on espanol!