Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

the trilogy is complete

welp, we all tagged out. what a blessing. I posted about my son's hunt in the youth section, and my wife shot a cow in the rifle hunt as well.

since it had been so dry, i focused on water. it seemed to be a good move. i had seen a good bull on this tank we were hunting during the youth hunt, and another bull came in during my wife's cow hunt.

opening morning i hiked over a mile to get to this tank, as i didn't have my 4 wheeler ready to go. it was a good sit, but the only bull that came in was a spike. several elk winded me, and were thirsty enough to circle the tank and come to the other side, up wind, and drink. i'm not sure if any bulls winded me or not, i couldn't see them all. it looked like an owl landed on the other side of the tank, but after close inspection i realized it was a bobcat. i think he winded me as well, as he never came to drink. I always have trouble with wind at tanks, it seems to change direction when the sun comes up or goes down. it's just a battle you have to deal with. on opening morning, i got a text from a friend, who's son had the big bull down. They killed him in an urban area that i did not have access to. I don't have permission to post pics, but he is a great bull, for any hunt, let alone late archery. Congrats to that kid, on a great bull.

on day 2, i drove into the desert to glass the foothills. After an hours drive, someone was parked in my spot, and another truck pulled up beside me. i did a u-turn, and moved on. i was late getting into my plan b spot, and jumped some cows on the way in, but didn't see any bulls.

after this, it was work and church stuff. i went out behind my house monday, which if G&F get's their way, will be off limits to hunting in the future. What a shame, a lot of dinners have been served by the locals off of elk in there. It's been a popular spot for generations. i glassed a spike up, and chose not to pursue him. That night i sat a tank with no luck.

On wednesday, the day before thanksgiving, it was unusually hot. I bailed from work at 2 and hit the tank. Elk rolled in immediately, but winded me and blew out before i could see them. I was frustrated, as i knew this was an ideal day for something to happen. I mean i was really frustrated. I actually prayed. The wind had switched 180 degrees right when they were coming in, i could hear them on the other side of the dam when the wind switched, and they were gone like a heard of elephants. I never could see them. It seemed like one of them circled me and got quiet. Well, my prayers were answered, as a young bull came in to water at last light. Possible the one that circled me. He gave me a textbook, "do not shoot" quartering towards me shot angle. I carefully placed my 30 yard pin right behind his shoulder, hoping i would get one lung and bury the shwacker in his liver. I didn't range him, but it looked 30 to me. I heard a loud shwack when i squeezed the trigger, and he bolted. I snuck out of the blind and looked for blood. I didn't see any right away, and decided to back out, as the sun was fading pretty quickly. Liver shots can take a few minutes longer to be fatal, and i didn't want to jump him.

After prayer meeting at church that night, i recruited some innocent bystanders who owned 4 wheelers to help me look for a blood trail. We got in there at 9 ish, and my nephew found the first drop. We followed the trail, and every step the blood got better, until it looked like someone poured it out of a milk jug. It was that dark, rich liver blood color. Well, after about 50 yards, we found him piled up. I said a prayer of thanks, and we dug in with the knives.

He tastes fantastic.

• Like 4

Congrats on a great year for you and your family. Way to stick with it and get it done. Any bull with a bow is a good bull.

• Like 1

Thats awesome. What a blessing to accomplish all that. Congrats on all your familys harvests. God bless

• Like 1