Sign in to follow this  
mr.smith

December tag gripe

I usually end up hunting deer with my bow since I have only ever drawn one rifle tag. So this weekend I am out hunting with my wife who also has a tag and some friends who are helping glass. This weekend was about gettingh her deer since she won't have much time off to hunt later.

Opening day we watch a buck all morning, when he beds down we go to set up. Get to our expected shooting spot to find no deer and a group of archers doing a deer drive across the hill face. Day two, same thing 5 miles away. Day three, my wife connects and we come home. It burns my butt that I wait six years to get a Dec WT tag and some shmoe with an otc tag can walk up and blow my stalk. As an archer it pains me to suggest AZGFD take away opportunities but I think that there should be no archery hunts in a unit during a rifle hunt. It isn't like the rut gets into full swing until January anyway. In both instances the bucks got away from the bowhunter, in these cases I'm sure the guys were clueless as they were walking with the wind right into the bedding thicket.(idiots)

What are your opinions on this?

I say leave it the way it is....I've had plenty of game spooked by rifle hunters in the past. Bottom line is it's Public Land, you're going to have people out there with you, whether it's hunters, hikers or just people out riding on their quads.

Congrats to your wife on a fine first buck!

Why do so many hunters insist on bitching away their opportunity? Since you say that you have only ever drawn one rifle tag I bet you weren't complaining about the archery season all of those other years!

MAN! Why does it always have to a a rifle vs. bowhunter thing? What if it was some knuckle head rifle hunters doing a push had ruined your stalk? Would you be more receptive? I can understand some frustration....but you managed to tag out so let it go. HAPPY HUNTING with a rifle or a BOW.

Actually if it had been rifle hunters I would have just let it go because they had to draw the tag too. I actually saw more bow hunters than rifle hunters this weekend.

Honestly I don't really archery hunt December as I am usually duck hunting. I buy a tag in January so I have it during archery pig. I do a lot of bird hunting and if there is a big game hunt going on I tend to avoid those areas out of common courtesy. I make it a point to know what is open where I intend to hunt.

The Dec rifle hunt is 17 days long. The archery season lasts until the end of January. The high volume of archers could simply be due to the concurrent opening days which is lame. But still why run the risk of ruining a guys hunt who had to wait a long time to draw that tag?

I'm not bitching away my opportunity. As a student on winter break I have plenty of time. School doesnt resume until mid January. Like I said it just burns my butt, probably to a larger degree because it was my wife trying to fill her tag rather than me.

But you are right she filled her tag, and now I can take my time and find the buck I want. Hopefully the opening weekend rush of boneheads will be over when I get back down there.

LOL, Welcome to Arizona!! It aint like it used to be with no one in the woods and game every where. Now its quads, trucks, and them dang ranger cars up every hill and in every canyon with every Tom Dick and Harry out with a gun shooting up the hillside!!

Ron

first, congrats to your wife!

it has always seemed to me that one with a rifle has the upper-hand on one with a bow. saying you were stalking doesn't make sense since most rifle whitetail tags are filled at 200yds plus. sounds like the ones putting on the stalk were the archers.

i had the opportunity to watch a archery hunter stalk a deer while i was out hunting with my late wt tag a few tears ago. there is a lot to be learned by watching other bowhunters. I watched for some time and the hunter closed the gap to about 70yds or so. i thought i was actually going to see this person shoot a coues with a bow. then "BOOM", dead deer. rifle hunters shot the deer and they had no idea that there was a hunter stalking it. the rifle hunters were around the draw from the bowhunter, not a clue. it happens, sorry it happened to you, but best of luck if you go back out.

Ya just gotta get way the heck back in there away from other hunters.

first, congrats to your wife!

it has always seemed to me that one with a rifle has the upper-hand on one with a bow. saying you were stalking doesn't make sense since most rifle whitetail tags are filled at 200yds plus. sounds like the ones putting on the stalk were the archers.

it happens, sorry it happened to you, but best of luck if you go back out.

By stalk I mean closing the distance. We glassed these guys at over 800yds.

I am definitely going back out. Going to try to do it during the week.

I think as a bow hunter I have the right to hunt any unit open to archery even the ones with rifle hunts going on . ive paid for a tag and scouted my unit and have been messed up meny times by rifle hunters and archery hunters whats the differance what there carring as a weapon its all the same to me . I try to be considerate of other hunters and not impose on them . but I have messed up a few hunters and apologize for this . I have never done a deer drive and mostly hunt alone .

I dont see anything wrong with the way it is and think it should stay as is

Bruce

the way i see it is that it is getting harder and harder to draw tags in arizona and the december archery hunt is a gift to all of us that dont get to hunt with a rifle in december....i know that if i was the one with a premium december rifle coues tag i would not be complaining about a few stick flingers trying to put some meat on their table too! the only difference between you and them, is they were not blessed with a PREMIUM tag this year, so they are trying to make the best out of what is given to them...

I have not done a deer drive since I left Pa.

But I think if I was helping a Rifle tag holder

by doing a drive I would make a slow drive with Bow in hand.

Just a thought, they may have been helping someone.

Leave things as they are. My$.02

Mike

There is soooo much country out there! Everyone knows the archery hunt will be going on during the rifle hunt long before they put in for the Dec rifle hunt. (for years and years now)

Guest 300ultramag.

viva la bow hunters!

that is the best tag out! otc coues!

I had some shmuck tell me i couldnt hunt an area.........

after words were exchanged.... i informed him of a little thing called National forest he eventually saw it my way..

Just dont tell him i bagged the deer he had been watching on his jenky scout cams.. :ph34r: :lol: ;)