Sign in to follow this  
spooby

Canvas Tents/Outfitters Tent Questions

I'm looking at buying a new Canvas tent this year. Never owned one but stayed in one a while back and was great during our late elk hunt. Wife and i looked at toy haulers recently but just cant see dropping $40k on one on top of maintenance, insurance, and what not. Pretty sure i will be going with Davis Tent out of Co. Leaning towards the 14x16 and getting the awning with it as well but also looking at the 16x20. Only going to be 4 of us max at anytime. I'll be getting the water and mildew treated canvas as i heard not to get it fire treated as the smell is horrible and lingers in the tent.

What are some of the Pros and Cons that you have run into with these?

For 4 people I’d stick with a 14x16 any bigger is gonna be a chalange to keep heated during a late hunt. I too skipped the fire retardant and have not had any issues. I have a 14x16 from the wall tent store. If I had to buy another I’d get another from the walltent shop. I’m in El mirage I could roll mine out if you wanna to put your hands on one.

https://www.walltentshop.com/

• Like 2

For 4 people I’d stick with a 14x16 any bigger is gonna be a chalange to keep heated during a late hunt. I too skipped the fire retardant and have not had any issues. I have a 14x16 from the wall tent store. If I had to buy another I’d get another from the walltent shop. I’m in El mirage I could roll mine out if you wanna to put your hands on one.

https://www.walltentshop.com/

i may take you up on that. I'm sure the 14x16 will work but just got it stuck in my head that i may need the 16x20.. Davis has a good special going on right now and can get the 14x16 with all the upgrades i want except a stove,delivered to my door step for under 1300.00

Take it from someone with no floor in their tent, get a floor in your tent.

• Like 1

i plan on using a roll of outdoor turf/carpet for the floor. enough for the porch and tent and have a cut out for the stove

i plan on using a roll of outdoor turf/carpet for the floor. enough for the porch and tent and have a cut out for the stove
Oh I put down a floor too, but that ain't the same as having a tent with a floor. You'll see.

Oh I put down a floor too, but that ain't the same as having a tent with a floor. You'll see.

oh you mean having a sewn on floor? The only time i stayed in they have a carpet floor not sewn in. Didn't have any issues with the rain or snow and got down to 5 degrees and was toasty still.

what is the issue your having?

I have used wall tents for over 25 yrs. I have several Davis tents and their quality is second to none. I would strongly suggest you get the tent fire treated. You can go online and look up videos of non treated tents and what happens when they are on fire. I know my family will NEVER sleep in a non treated tent.

My best tents have zippered doors with screens AND storm flaps at both ends. Make sure you get windows on each side. You need the ability to get air moving through the tent. The tents can get hot even on late season hunts and almost excruciatingly hot on early and mid season hunts.

Wall Tent Shop bought a 14x16 with the angle kit and riley wrangler stove stove for $1300 last year. I cut my own frame and they will give You the proper measurements. Total cost $1450.00.

Sewn in floors help keep critters out. Yes I know they have sod cloths but it’s nothing like a sewn in floor. Snakes....spiders....Ect

lol

I had my floorless tent up recently in the desert. Each morning when I first awoke I'd look under the cot to make sure I was still alone....

Davis tents might be at the ISE show and should have a show special....They did last year

they got a special going on right now but they wont be coming to Az this year. If i do get it will be getting 3 windows and just the 1 door. no sure yet about the sewn in floor but something im looking into now.

have you purchased one recently with the fire treatment? That was what i was looking at but have heard for a couple people that the smell from the fire treatment is horrible? they said it was bad the first year and gradually wasn't as bad after the first year but the smell was always their?