Another interesting fact about jags is that in the jungle thay are more prolific yet smaller and darker in color. The more north, in more moderate climate, they are paler and larger. Our Arizona jags are big awesome animals.

Mike

in dale lee's book there was a story about the "onza". looked like a skinny lookin' mt lion to me, but you can't tell much from those old pictures. it said that the smithsonian took it and has it listed as the only known specimen of the onza, so maybe there really is such a thing. i don't know much about the size differences of the jags, some weigh over 300 lbs, but from everything i've heard, they're meaner than heck and you usually always lose a few dogs on everyone you catch. hunter wells said he stopped at every dog pound between prescott and where he crossed the border in texas and adopted every dog that looked like it might trail a cat. when he got there he had dozens of dogs. i know one thing, i wish i'da got to hunt em a couple times. sounds like fun to me. choppin' your way through the jungle, fightin' snakes and headhunters and stuff. oh wait, that was indiana jones, but i think it's about like that. Lark.

to me, it looks like a long legged lion. could be some sort of subspecies. it said the feet were different. i've been in on enough lion kills to know that they come in all sizes and configurations. some are long and lean and some are chunky with real heavy limbs and chest like a jag. there is even a real rare black phase of mt lion, similar to the black phase jag. mexico and south america have probably a dozen different kinds of wild cats. margays, ocelots, jagurundis, tigrillos, jags, lions, bobcats, and a buncha others that i can't remember. we have some of those species here too, most in real limited numbers. there are some margays and ocelots in se Az. and i guess there are still a few jaguarundis in texas, but they're so secretive that nobody knows much about em or how many there are. they are all real interesting animals, for sure. further south ya get, the wierder the wildlife, sloths, monkeys, tapirs. like my buddy alden said, once you get past nogales, it's like a whole 'nother country. Lark.

I also think its a subspecies. In the book they say that they have six toes.

6 toes? are they webbed? if so, the might be trackin' around my buddys cousin freddy. we been wonderin' where he wuz.

I've never seen one live, but I've seen a full mount stuffed one. This must have been a full grown adult, because it was HUGE! I'm a horrible judge (that's why I don't worry about scoring deer... :) ), but it definitely looked much bigger than any lion mount I have ever seen. Pretty spectactular looking.

S.

:)

jaguars are monsters. probably weigh about twice what a lion does. big males go voer 300 lbs. females are bigger than big lions. very seldom does a lion actually get over 150. you see a lot of photos of 180's and 200 lbers, but if you look real good, they don't weigh near that. jags are not that much longer or taller. just real thick with massive legs, paws, heads, necks, chest. real wide along the back. anyone know if ol' curtis prock is still alive? if he is, there probably isn't anyone in the southwest with more jag experience than him. somebody oughta get with that ol' outlaw and write down his story.

Halfway decent article in the AZ Repugnant (Arizona Republic) today including a jaguar picture taken from one of the game cameras. Anyway, we got lots of info here that they did not mention.

FYI

I have read Dale Lee's book Life of the Greatest Guide, Written by Robert McCurdy. I would love to read any of the Lee's other books. Can anyone tell me where to find them. I have been looking for Dale's book for some time. I would love to buy some copies.

Dave.

i don't know that clell ever wrote a book. he should have. seems like maybe someone wrote something about him, but i can't remember for sure. Hunter Wells' book is a hoot to read. don't know if it's in print or even where to get one. might try the internet. i borrowed the one i read from a guy that knew him. that's why i was wondering if curtis prock is still alive. if he is, he's probably the only American left with any real jag experience. now that it's illegal to import any spotted cat into the U.S., there ain't a lot of call for jag guides. Lark.

Hey ARIZONA GUIDE. I noticed that you had posted that there were some jaguars near Saint David. Is there a chance that there are still some left? I live in Saint David, so I am interested in this. I think there was a small black bear in the river near Benson a few months ago. If anybody has any more information about this, I would like to hear it. Thanks.

270jrk

270jrk

Who are you. I was raised there and live in mesa now. It was the black panther I said was in the san pedro river. There has been a black bear and a mountain lion on the cannal in St.David a few years back.

Do you know any Higginbothams or Kartchners. My Dad is a kartchner.

270jrk