longshooter

otc elk tag success ?

Ya; only five land owners pissed off so far and only one fight between hunters. Not as bad as I thought so far. O and one Bull killed that I know of so far.

Buckhorn

Bought my tag today. New office has six cashier stations, and only one open. I thought I was at Home Depot. 2700 tags sold so far for maybe 200 elk. I'm going out tomorrow to Alamo. They say there are only 15-20 elk there. I'll take my bow to make it a deer/elk combo hunt. How often do you get to do that? Hope to at least find some sign. glad to at least have the opporotunity. Hopefully we will be able to get updates, so as the herds thin out.

Just a little over $300k, guess they'll be out buying some new trucks to go with that shiny new building.

Mike

The shiny new building is a joke of an expenditure. It is my opinion that The Arizona Gambino and Fish Department has lost focus in a number of ways.

2700 tags sold so far for maybe 200 elk.

That is still like a 7% success rate if every single elk gets taken out (as is their plan). Even if they sell 10,000 and there is a 2% success rate, 2% is the chance of getting drawn for bull in Unit 9.

This is a joke.. OTC elk??? Can you say SUCKER>>>>> This is terrible hunting that no one wanted to hunt, so now they sell unlimited tags to get the SUCKERS out there....Keep your hard earned money!!! Buyer beware~!!!

I was at the AZGFD office the other day and the workers were actually discouraging people from buying anymore of these tags, said it would be a miracle if no one got hurt....

Hello Opportunity...

Goodbye to quality....

Welcome to AZ..

Ron

A friend of mine bought one, I think its more of an excuse to get out of the house and pretend to go hunting. We went up to alamo last weekend just looking around. Its a chance to improve on my glassing skills, so its not a bust to me. Sure would like to know where G&F has those 15-20 elk tied up, because we glassed for a while, but at 2000 ft. where can they hide.

Mike

hey el fuego, you mean all the savings on electricity ain't worth the 22 million they spent? :lol: 22 million would only pay for power for about another 86 years in the old bldg and they need to look ahead. heck, you could buy a powerplant for 22 million. Lark.

A friend of mine bought one, I think its more of an excuse to get out of the house and pretend to go hunting. We went up to alamo last weekend just looking around. Its a chance to improve on my glassing skills, so its not a bust to me. Sure would like to know where G&F has those 15-20 elk tied up, because we glassed for a while, but at 2000 ft. where can they hide.

Mike

There is a picture in the Mesa Sportsmans Warehouse of a guy with a decent bull that was killed at Alamo. Jind of a strange pic with the bull in a sandy wash and his horns are coved with that mossy stuff that grows in the salt cedars.

I think that bull is on this site as well.

If it wern't for the tags, G&F would have to hire people to kill some of these elk. I'm sure we would complain about that as well. The Alamo elk are tearing up the riparian areas nearby and need to be taken out. Nobody said it would be easy.