CatfishKev

Interested in kayaks

Looking for 10' yaks. I'm 6'2" so may need an 11 or 12 but want to get 2 of them. Want sit on top style.

What do you guys have and would you start off differently. Looking for $200-500 range.

Look on craigslist lots of good deals on there.. also Cabelas,Dicks and sportsmen's have quality kayaks..I have a Ascend 12t from Cabelas and can stand and fish off of, if that's what your going for..very stable ..I also have a 2 seater from Costco for my wife and kiddo it does very well but it's slow on the water.. I call it the minivan of kayaks ..

Dicks has a big variety. I bought 3 of the Trophy 125s, theyre sit in, but pretty nice. im 5'10" but have taken taller people out with me and they seem to fit pretty good.

might have to make the trek up to Tucson to find one

Been watching CL. Have seen some good deals. The ascends are nice, my buddy showed me his I just wanna stay with 10' so I can throw a few in the back of the truck without a bunch of hassle. Those peddle yaks are sweet but $2k for a kayak??? Been watching some mod videos of the cheaper ones that people have set up pretty nice.

Mbiewer what made you go sit in vs on top? I'm told the sit ins are more dangerous because they can sink but I don't know from experience. I've never been on one.

Guest oneshot

CatFishKev... You want a "sit-on'top", if you tip over a sit-in style, you have to drag a water filled kayak to land and dump it before you can get back inside, they are also less stable. Sit on tops are hollow,self draining, they wont sink and if you tip it over, you can crawl back on top in the water...

I have a "Freedom Hawk 14" stand-up kayak,10ft long/with 4ft detachable pods,14ft overall( i dont think they would work good without the pods attache, with pods out you cant tip it over, even if you try. I have had it a mile off the coast of Rhode Island fishing for striped bass in 3ft swells, had to break-off a few fish because they were dragging me out to sea, but no worries about tipping over, even while standing/fighting big fish...

Alittle more expensive then what you were thinking, I think I paid around 1100.00$$$ for mine, but worth every dime for it's usage/stable platform... It is a single seater, but by putting life-vests/towels in the front I can paddle my GF around, sitting or standing...

(photo is on Patagonia lake)

post-1378-0-74305800-1524048637_thumb.jpg

Guest oneshot

Freedom Hawk 14ft Kayak loaded onto FJ down in Pocky Point, with pods attached...

post-1378-0-50512900-1524049672_thumb.jpg

CatFishKev... You want a "sit-on'top", if you tip over a sit-in style, you have to drag a water filled kayak to land and dump it before you can get back inside, they are also less stable. Sit on tops are hollow,self draining, they wont sink and if you tip it over, you can crawl back on top in the water...

I have a "Freedom Hawk 14" stand-up kayak,10ft long/with 4ft detachable pods,14ft overall( i dont think they would work good without the pods attache, with pods out you cant tip it over, even if you try. I have had it a mile off the coast of Rhode Island fishing for striped bass in 3ft swells, had to break-off a few fish because they were dragging me out to sea, but no worries about tipping over, even while standing/fighting big fish...

Alittle more expensive then what you were thinking, I think I paid around 1100.00$$$ for mine, but worth every dime for it's usage/stable platform... It is a single seater, but by putting life-vests/towels in the front I can paddle my GF around, sitting or standing...

(photo is on Patagonia lake)

Good spot for flatheads!

Well, time to get technical....

So a sit in, you're actually closer to the water with a lower center of gravity. The sit on tops, are thicker (its gotta be able to float, so its more like a hard pool toy inflatable kinda deal). I had a coleman canoe for about 20 years, and then had kayaks about the last 5 of that. I got the chance to go out in perception swifty's (they run about 250 new) that a girlfriend had. they were great,...well she wasn't. after she left, she decided she was taking her kayaks with her. I wanted the sitins, to be more like kayaking and less like canoeing.

the first thought when it comes to kayaking is "how do you get it upright after you roll it". Well you don't roll it, for one. Number two,.. wether you have a sit in or on, there's pretty much no getting back into either in open water. We tried it in the pool. have to be able to crawl out of the water on something that's not stationary (otherwise you wouldn't have tipped in the first place). Sure, crud happens. In my 20 years of the canoe, I dumped it twice. (friends kid caught her shoe at blue ridge when getting out, and right in I went; the other was in experience trying it out on the salt).

as the purchaser of a kayak you need to figure out what the purpose of it is. keel lines on the bottom will make traveling straight or quicker through the water. If you equate it to quads... I have a trophy 126. (well, technically 4 of em).theyre fishing kayaks. I used them on the salt river, on the lake with kids in my lap, and for fishing. theyre flat bottomed and wide, like the old Honda ranchers. and then theyres kayaks like the swiftys that are more like the sport model of a quad. designed for straighter travel , keel line for cutting water easier etc. then there are the "banshee" style kayaks, that are used for class 5 rapids, that are designed to be able to fit the question "how do you roll back over when sitting in it"

If you ever come up topt the valley you can try mine. I can haul all four of mine in a shortbed pickup (I just dangle them out the back) or 2 on top of the wife's Cherokee just fine. A cheap utility rack and I can take everything I need for the lake (for the group) in my truck. 4 kayaks, a folding picnic table, ice chest, and tailgate grill.

sorry for hijacking the thread, hope it helps

• Like 1

? What you mean buddy, this one was 12 ft 2 person and the other was 10 ft on man for 299.00, pretty good prices. The 2 man can be handled by 1 and should be stable

Oops. I assumed the one for 299 was a different brand. At walmart the lifetime 10 yak is the tamarack angler for $278. It's probably something similar.

Don't know where OP is at (location), but I just left Dicks Sporting Goods with a 10' Sit on top fishing kayak for $200. They are marked $239, but this one had a scratch and the store discounted it. Don't know how good it is, but for the price I will find out this weekend.