Sign in to follow this  
Born2hunt

Lion tips?

Checked a few trail cams this weekend and had a number of lions fairly regular. Ive always heard hounds need to be on the track within a day so but I cant check the camera often enough to ever be that close behind. Im thinking of trying to call them in. Ive never chased predators before does anyone have suggestions where to start? Im reading everything I can on here and my plan right now is to try calling them in. Since Ive never tried I thought Id see what recommendations you all would have.

• Like 1

I'm just finishing my pre dinner cocktail and I think if you put some catnip out he might hang around rolling in the dirt until you have a chance to return. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I would set up and call in there 45 minute stands

This^^^^^ Good sized mature cat, female is my guess.

I would set up and call in there 45 minute stands

This^^^^^ Good sized mature cat, female is my guess.

+1 This + 15 minutes (1 hour) ^^^^

Cats aren't that hard to call in. You have to think a bit different though. Don't sit down wind. Sit so you can look down wind. The cats I've called in always come from down wind. If you have the wind in your face and are looking at the call.........the cat is right behind you.

The biggest reason people don't call more cats in to calls is the cats aren't in the area. If a cat is in the area then you have a chance at calling them in. If you are seeing the cat on camera every 2-4 days then call in the area and see if you can't turn it up. I bet you can.......PS. I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to go cat hunting this weekend. Notice I didn't say predator hunting. I strictly focus on cats.

• Like 1

And make sure you check the Regs to because Im not positive but I think they changed the open seasons this year 2018 starting after July or June 31st?

Good luck!!!

Edit: I had gone to a mountain lion calling Seminar 10 years ago or so and the guy giving it said his success rate went up if he stuck around like the others commented 1 hour to 1 hr and half.