akbowhunter

hunting from your back

I have been reading your website all day (snowing here--waiting for a break). I gather many of you aren't fond of NR hunters, but am hoping to appeal to some of the guys who put alot of time in research for hunting unfamiliar areas. I am heading to Arizona Unit 32 in January on the recommendation of my taxidermist who used to hunt a particular area. I am a dedicated bowhunter and am willing to put in as much research as I can before I embark on a hunting trip. That said, I am looking at some other areas as backup. I am looking over maps, but can't discern whether there are roadless areas in Southern Arizona. Most look like they are littered with 2-tracks. Not looking for secret spots, just a unit. I hope this doesn't strike a chord with anyone....

Ken R

Hey Ken welcome to the site, hope you've learned a thing or two. I will say that I'm fond of NRs it's the USO deal that most everyone here is ticked about. Hey I just guided a husbad and wife from AK on an archery elk hunt, maybe you now them....... just kidding. Man I hope you have some great luck down in 32 in January. I haven't hunted 32 in 15 years but I frequently hunt 31 and 33 nearly every year. Either of those units you shouldn't really have a problem finding Coues deer in. I don't know why but I'm getting good feelings about this year's upcoming rut. Good luck and let us know how you do. If I can do anything to help you let me know.

Josh Epperson

Hey Ken, welcome to the site. I hunt 32 often during the rifle hunt in Oct and Nov. I see plenty of coues deer in 32, just go to the higher peaks and glass. Backpack into an area, and get away from the roads where the bigger bucks hang. You will see bucks running around in January, but getting in bow range is a challenge.

Hey Ken

Welcome to the site! I think this is one of the best sites on the internet. I am also a nonresident and have hunted Az. for over twenty five years. I love unit 32. It is an extremely large unit and there are plenty of whitetail in the unit. I will be backpacking in to an area I hunted last year for the early Oct. hunt. I am really getting excited about the time off. Ken, there are several wilderness ares in the unit and I think they all hold good populations of Coues. The main thing is to get out far enough that you get into undisturbed country. Prepare for any kind of weather because you never know! That being said. I killed a buck last year in Dec. and all I had on for a shirt was an old T shirt. The rut uasually kicks in '' big time'' in the early part of January.Good luck on your hunt, and have lots of fun!

Coues Addict :rolleyes:

Hey now, All you guys with those hunches and "Good Feelings" about this year are really upsetting me. Okay Okay, Yes I am Jealoous! :rolleyes:

I did not get drawn and don't have a clue how to shoot a bow! :blink:

Or is that an arrow you shoot out of a bow? :ph34r:

Okay, times like these I wish I knew a quick way to become a bowhunter.

Good Luck and safety to everyone and save some of them nice bucks for next year!

Thanks for the encouragement/info guys. I was a little scared to post here, but I feel more comfortable now. I will probably be one of those "lurkers" for awhile, but surely I will come up with new questions as my research unfolds new areas. you have a great site here. One other thing that just came to mind....Are there many leftover tags for javelina in the SE corner? I know that I just missed the drawing, but would like to buy a tag if they come available. I will be watching the AZ website around the 22nd (apparently that is when they can be purchased if there are any left. Thanks again,

Ken

AZ4Life,

Shooting a bow is easy. Just make sure when you get to full draw - you let go with the hand that is holding the string. You're welcome.

Mike

Ken, 32 is an awesome unit,...couple friends and I are talking having someone pack horse us in for 3-7 days in Jan. 05' just to see whats up in the rut and bow hunt.

We did not get 32 this year and that hurts there are some nice ones in there.

I'll keep you posted.

Dan

Last year I think there were only a few dozen tags (out of 1500) left for SE corner hunt. Archery hunting is getting pretty popular. Maybe we should get G&F to start a spear and knife only Javalina hunt!

Mark

Yea, Mark isn't that gonna be pretty sad when residents can't draw a pig tag. It has never happened to me yet but when it does I tell ya!

Spear hunting them sounds good.

Dan