Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Sitka blacktail

Once, on Kodiak. It was a difficult but good hunt. Where (in elevation) and how you will be hunting really depends on the dates you choose to go hunting.

• Like 1

Been seeing a lot of it on the hunting channel. Looks like certain times of the year its similar to coues hunting. Vantage points and glassing. Looks like a freaking blast!

Any of you guys care to share what a guy would be looking to spend to go on a hunt like this? I know ammentities vary but just a ballpark figure.

Tag prices doubled last year... About $3500 DIY door to door with 3 deer. Ed F

Thats not bad at all. Is that sleeping in a tent?

In highschool we did Whale Pass Lodge in the beginning of August I think. It was a little tough bushwhacking from beach to above treeline every day on the different islands we hunted, Whale, Kodiak, and Raspberry, but it was a lot of fun and we chased alot of deer with our bows. I want to try it again, been thinking maybe Prince of Whales Island trip though to avoid the grizzlies haha.

• Like 1

When I was fishing commercially in AK, the boat often used the inside passage. Was great seeing the Sitkas swim from island to island. If you're there long enough to get a taste of that lifestyle, you won't want to come back.

• Like 3

On my bucket list but I want to do the Black bear coast hunt from those fishing yachts. Luxury hunting right there.

• Like 1

When I was 15 I got to go and kill a couple caribou, been wanting to go back ever since.

Where did you go? I hunted east of Nome in the 90's but I have heard it is tougher now and herds have declined.

A friend of a friends is a pilot. We flew into Prudhoe bay, drove down the pipeline road to dead horse, then took a bush plane out in the arctic slope. We got dropped off a few miles in front of a few thousand caribou and camped there for the week. Met some natives and they cruised us around on some boats and showed us their areas. Was a pretty neat trip. The one thing that was a major let down was the salmon fishing. We got tricked into the tourist deal where about 200 bumper boats floated down the river and Just trolled for salmon. Alaska is an unreal piece of land. Not very forgiving.

I shot a small bull first. My dad wanted to shoot this bull but he was across a big river. He ended up killing a decent bull and then a few days later this same bull came out on our side and I killed him. Caribou is some of the best meat Ive ever eaten.

post-13407-0-73225900-1527955627_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2