Sign in to follow this  
Sparkitoff

Texas Traditional Muzzleloader Hunt Report

I just returned from the new Y.O. Shreiner Ranch in Texas. There is a long, rich history regarding the Y.O. Ranch and the Schreiner family. Without too much lecture, the Schreiner University, Schreiner Hospital and Schreiner National Bank were founded by the ranch owners ancestors. The original Y.O. Ranch was a huge spread but was recently divided into several smaller tracts, each owned by an heir. This ranch is 5000 acres that has never been hunted. The animals are present due to the fence isolating them. No management has been done in the past 7 or 8 years. I was invited to help knock down some bigger female animals to reduce numbers so the bucks can get more protein this summer. The cabin is brand new - the appliances were being installed while we were there.
About the hunting.....I used a caplock and flintlock for the first time.
I loaded my 1970's CVA .50 caliber caplock with 80 grains of Triple 7 FFFg and a 240 grain Hornady PA Conical. After several hours of slow walking through heavy brush I spotted a Sika deer female coming out from behind some cedars. My rangefinder said 45 yards so I took aim and set the trigger. As it cleared broadside I put the sights behind the leg and squeezed the trigger. The deer jumped forward and ran with her head down for about 3 bounds and then rose up and tipped over backwards. I went over to the deer and found a neat hole right where I aimed. Upon cleaning later I found the conical had flattened out quite a bit and was lodged against the leg bone on the off-side. Performance was very good and I was pleasantly surprised.
Sika_Deer_Edit_3.png

PA_Conical_photo_1.jpg

The next day I headed out with my Frankenstein Flintlock. This is a 38" GM .54 cal. barrel on a Renegade stock with an L&R lock. I loaded with 80 grains of Goex FFFg, a Hornady .530 RB and .18 pillow ticking patch with 1:7 ballistol lube.
I walked through a low draw and climbed up at the end. As I ascended I came upon a Red Deer Hind standing about 25 yards away in thick brush, facing me. I put the sights at the neck/chest junction, set the trigger, concentrated and fired. The deer spun and ran about 10 steps with a fountain of red gushing out its front. It fell dead. I found the exit hole an inch to the right of and below the butt-hole. Full lengthwise penetration.

Red_Deer_Flintlock_Small_Edit.png

That evening I sat up at a water-hole to see if any animals would come. The Frankenstein Flintlock was reloaded and we sat behind some trees. As the light began to fade 3 elk cows came to water. My rangefinder said 79 yards. I aimed in the center, right behind the front leg. At the shot the elk ran up to ground level and trotted about 25 yards, spun and fell dead. The round ball went through the top of the heart, took out lungs and was visible under the skin on the opposite side. A small slit in the side made it easy to recover the ball. There is a line in the ball from where it clipped a rib.

Flintlock_Red_Deer_Edit.png

54_Round_Ball.jpg[/url]

Overall, this was a very enjoyable hunt. I've hunted all over the world with all kinds of firearms, muzzleloaders and archery equipment. The lodge and accommodations were great and the meat will be outstanding. Everyone was impressed with the effectiveness of my rifles and I learned what to expect on game for future hunts. The Y.O. Schreiner Ranch can be viewed at: yoschreiner.com

I am now confident in my equipment and ability to try for Coues, Javelina and Elk!

• Like 5

Nice pics but dang you have a weird beard.

I am from Bandera myself and love that hill country.

• Like 2

Nice pics but dang you have a weird beard.

I am from Bandera myself and love that hill country.

I lived in Bandera for a while and am literally sitting in the medina river right now

I left a long time ago but will return someday as I have family there out by Bandera Creek and Privilege Creek.