Sign in to follow this  
Edge

13th Triple Crown?

1 1/2 mile race.

Secretariat

post-11051-0-38875400-1528583479_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! He led the whole race!!

Great race. But Secretariats track record of 2:24 still stands.

• Like 1

What year was secretariat? That's a world I don't know but to have an older title stand alone like that must be amazing? Also are most horse races a mile and a half? That's more then I would have expected but I guess it makes sense. How far is one lap?

What year was secretariat? That's a world I don't know but to have an older title stand alone like that must be amazing? Also are most horse races a mile and a half? That's more then I would have expected but I guess it makes sense. How far is one lap?

Kentucky derby is 1 1/4 mile track

Preakness is 1 3/16 of a mile

Before Secretariat came along in 1973, it had been 25 years since there was a triple Crown winner.

Ok refresh for me. Triple crown is 3 separate races and he did it today? So it's been 40 years and a new hero is born?

Triple crown is the, Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont. The same horse has to win all 3 to get a Triple Crown. The Racing career of these horses is very short. Only 3 year olds are eligible to race in the Triple crown races.

Bob Baffert, who trained Justify, won the Triple crown in 2015 with American

Pharaoh. The last triple crown winner before that, was in 1978.

• Like 2

And one of the archaic rules, the three year olds must have also had a start in a race as a two year old. And not just any race, a graded III stakes race with quality field.

So breeding, conception at precisely the right time is a big part of the game. For a horse born 31 December is on paper a year older than a horse born just days or weeks later.

Another wrinkle in all this is for Thoroughbred registry, the dam and sire must conceive in live cover. No AI or cloning.

• Like 1

Bob baffert use to train our quarter horse. We went to the big show and won in cali.

Is Dewey downs still around?