Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Flathead fishing tips

Hey guys, I consider myself a decent flathead fishermen but I've been wondering if my set up is different then what you guys do. Typically I use 50lb braid in power pro. Slide weight on main line with a bead then a clip or swivel. 30lb leader also made of braid about 24-30" with a 7/0 to a 9/0 octopus circle hook. At Patty only live shad and bluegill so I go for the bluegill. I usually hook behind the butthole and under the spine and whip it out there. I also use live bait liquid from wal mart and sprinkle garlic on them. I don't know if It helps or hurts but that's what i do. All the videos I see say hook them above the lateral line but that don't give to much meat to hold them on there and I always seem to lose them.

You guys use braided leaders? I can't imagine they can see it but I've been tempted to use a flouro. Ive watched videos on what fiwh can see during daylight so im pretty sure im fine.

I've also been saving all the dead shad and bluegill from the end of a night. Im planning on making a chum in the blender and chum the area with the fish flattys seem to love. I've never done it so I'm kind of excited to give it a whirl. Anyone ever tried it for flathead?

I got a fairly big job I will be doing about 10 minutes from Patagonia lake in the next few weeks with my son. We're gonna be there dang near every night fishing. Anyone is welcome to join us and I'd be happy to share what I do know with anyone that wants to know.

• Like 1

I started hooking my bait through the nose and have had less missed fish that way. Flatheads prefer to eat fish face first from what I've seen but I am no pro. Flatheads are hands down my favorite fish in AZ though.

I started hooking my bait through the nose and have had less missed fish that way. Flatheads prefer to eat fish face first from what I've seen but I am no pro. Flatheads are hands down my favorite fish in AZ though.

I might try that. I think I've seen 1 video where a dude did that. What size hook you like?

I run 100 pound braid, a no roll sinker, swivel and anywhere from 50-80 lb mono leader about 10-12" and team catfish double action hooks for all my flathead fishing. I always hook my bait above the lateral line, but I insert the hook sideways or at an angle to get more meat. I also don't try to throw it very far, because flatheads will feed up in the shallows at night. Any type of bluegill is the best bait in my opinion and the bigger you can get the better. Try not to use a hook too big and match it to the size bait you will use or they wont give off good vibrations in the water to attract the big boys.

That you Jeremy Wade?

• Like 1

Was just talking to a friend from the valley , was asking about cat fishing, I want to start. Anyway he said they catch carp during the day and cut them up and use it for bait. He said they've been catching 40lb + flat heads at Bartlett.