Sign in to follow this  
jeepers creepers

opinoins on the .300 WSM?

2950 fps is what to expect from a 180 grain bullet. Not quite a 300 Win mag, but close. Some WSM rifles have had feeding problems, especially with the top round from a loaded magazine, so might want to check out your friend's rifle. Also ask to see any targets for accuracy. There are plenty of factory ammo options if you do not handload. I have a couple rifles in 300WSM and wildcatted a third.

Doug~RR

I have a Rem. 700XCR in 300WSM and love the thing to death. I shoot factory ammo (Federal ammo w/165gr Barnes TSX) and am amazed at the accuracy. I have had the rifle for about 3 years and have taken 3 Coues with it all at varying ranges from 361, 130 and 75 yards. Recoil is not bad as even my 14 year old son shoots it and that can be attributed to the Limbsaver recoil pad that is factory installed. So all in all I have no complaints.

I have the Model 70 stainless with composite stalk fire 150 gr Barnes X handloads. I love the darn thing. Shoots accurate when I do my part. Never even heard of problems cycling rounds in the Model 70 version. I am pushing the 150 gr closer to 3200 fps. Shot my buck at 468 yards this year. Angled through the spine and chest and kept on trucking. I like the fact that I have a 7 lb mountain rifle that I can easily load with 165 gr or 180 gr and take the biggest elk in the state with complete confidence.

My 2 cents. I know Lark and a few others would not agree with me on caliber or bullets, but oh well.

Lee

just cuz i like .270's don't mean i dislike other stuff, except for that pud 7mm/08. the 300 wsm is a little faster than an '06, a little slower than a .300 win mag. a lot slower than a lazeroni, .30'.378 or ultra mag. remember, magnum is a size o' wine bottle and just because somebody slaps that name on a cartridge don't mean anything. only thing that matters is what it will do. some of the biggest pud cartridges ever built are "magnums". 6.5 rem mag, .350 rem mag, are a couple that come to mind. or how about the .17 mag. how can a skeeter sized cartridge be a magnum? Lark.

If you reload or have plenty of money for factory loads and it's a good deal do it. New toys are wonderful. I like standard cartridges because I can get ammo nearly anywhere I go and it's cheap at Walmart. There really haven't been any earth shattering innovations in firearms or cartridges in 50 years so most of the new stuff is hype. But it's still fun to play with.

Mark

If you reload or have plenty of money for factory loads and it's a good deal do it. New toys are wonderful. I like standard cartridges because I can get ammo nearly anywhere I go and it's cheap at Walmart. There really haven't been any earth shattering innovations in firearms or cartridges in 50 years so most of the new stuff is hype. But it's still fun to play with.

Mark

I agree! Well put! Also, simple physics over a 300 win mag is that you can not get the same volocity with less powder. Kind of like a V6 verses the V8 engine in a truck. I am not saying the WSM is not a good modern combination that utilizing a good combination of case capacity, action to cartridge fit, and filling a nitch (minus feeding problems). The 300 win. mag has issues fitting into a long action and seating a bullet at the optimum location and still fitting in the magazine and from what I have heard the WSM is better with that in mind which gives good accuracy. I personally bought a 300 win mag because of this in a single shot. Now I can fit the bullet right out to the lands and not give up case capacity.......which means spppppeeeeeeeeddd! Not to say the WSM would not be fun, effective at taking down animals, and new! It is basically a 300 H&H in a new wrapper!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great info!

Bottom line I did it, I bought the gun today. :lol:

It's a Winchester 70 Ultimate Shadow camo with a Nikon camo scope. NEVER been fired.

Hope it turns out to be the "ultimate gun" for me. :rolleyes:

Jeepers; the ultimate gun you speak of is one you study intimately and spend time to learn to use. It becomes almost a part of you and you will bring it into play without even thinking. Good luck and above all enjoy it!

Mark