rnhunter

27 South 28 North Rocky Tag

16 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

If I lived there I would figure that hunt out myself, which is exactly what I did when I lived in AZ and had an antelope and elk tag.  When you’re 1500 miles away it’s often cheaper to hire a guide then to travel to scout.  I have a once in a lifetime moose tag here in ND this year (on par with a sheep tag in AZ) and I’m doing that on my own and would never even consider the alternative.  If I had a 27/28 sheep tag I’d be all over hiring some help.  

Come on man. If you drew, i’d put you on a BFR 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Hymn, seems like diy is diy above all else. 

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. I sometimes draw bow tags and hunt with a bow.  I sometimes duck hunt.  Sometimes I draw incredible tags 4 states away and hire a guide.  Sometimes I draw tags 4 states away and don’t hire a guide.  I have hunted several places where I legally HAD to hire a guide.  Does that mean I need to hire a guide when I hunt in my back yard for whitetails for the rest of my life???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Come on man. If you drew, i’d put you on a BFR 

I had it for first choice!!  I’d probably come here first looking for some help but know my limits when it comes to figuring shoot out.  I’ve put over 1000 miles on my pickup the last two weekends moose scouting up here so I don’t mind doing the work when logistics allow that’s for sure.  Trying to get from BFE North Dakota to Morenci isn’t the easiest thing to do every weekend though!  

Congrats on a great tag!!!!!! 

I'm not saying you NEED to hire a guide.   If you haven't hunted sheep before then I would probably hire a guide.    It takes a bit of time to really understand what you are looking at with sheep and most hunters really only go out in the field once to hunt them.    I'm sure that if you look for help you will find it.   Many people are really willing to help fellow sheep hunters out.   Plus, all the hunters that have had the tag are usually more than willing to help because they will never get the tag again anyways.    I don't think finding sheep is typically the problem.    Being able to score the sheep and maybe a bit of help getting the sheep out will be bigger issues.    It might be a good idea to drive out to AZ for a lone weekend (or fly) and look everything over.   I think then you will know if you need a guide or give it a try alone.   

If I had your tag I would not hire a guide (though I have 45+ days in the field looking at sheep the past 3 years).   If I had a sheep tag in a state really far away......I would hire a guide.   

Thats is an awesome tag to have. It was a lot of work when I had my sheep tag, I could not imagine doing it as an out of stater and trying to find something you really want. I would call Chris Harlow.