grapevinedave

Win Pre 64 Model 70 264 Win Mag "SOLD"

Very Very nice MOD 70. Clean, with all the sights intact, classic Winchester caliber in a rare Featherweight configuration. That there is a true collectable, might have to go to a bigger audience to get full value. You could look at Utah Gun Exchange auction sight. They cover Utah, AZ, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho and maybe Wyoming shooters. IMHO to get full value you want to find a serious collector that is knowledgeable and appreciates these older classics and has the money to pay up.Thats a finite population. Good luck very nice WIN MOD 70.

• Like 1

Yes, they used stainless steel mainly in the Pre-64 220Swift but they also used it in Pre-64 264 Win Mags as well. I have seen other examples of stainless barrels but these two calibers are the most common. you can tell these barrels from the others because they are blued using the process of plating Iron on the stainless polishing the iron and then bluing the it, they always have a rather mottled appearance as well as a polished in the white crown. I own examples of both and pictures and documentation can be found in the book THE RIFLEMAN'S RIFLE by Roger C. Rule. Red rubber recoil pads as the one on the rifle shown were optional and are considered even more valuable as they are special orders.

Read the "Rule" Book

Surprised this one is still available. The only flaw that might be keeping someone from biting is that is has been cut down to have the kick pad installed. Unfortunately, it hurts the value more than you would think.

Surprised this one is still available. The only flaw that might be keeping someone from biting is that is has been cut down to have the kick pad installed. Unfortunately, it hurts the value more than you would think.

GreyGhost, not sure if you are aware of the factory Winchester recoil pads on this model. It is specific to this model and does the exact opposite as it enhances the value to have it. A lot of people have replaced the recoil pads and that takes value away from the gun. The integrity of this gun is in tact in every way. Please in the future make sure what you post is accurate as to not run off a potential buyer. See the last line in the notes of the picture I posted with the Blue Book of Gun Values. It's in a lot of publications including the Model 70 Bible by Roger Rule. "The Rifleman's Rifle"

• Like 3

That's a beautiful rifle. Been on my bucket list for years. GLWS.

• Like 1

Very Very nice MOD 70. Clean, with all the sights intact, classic Winchester caliber in a rare Featherweight configuration. That there is a true collectable, might have to go to a bigger audience to get full value. You could look at Utah Gun Exchange auction sight. They cover Utah, AZ, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho and maybe Wyoming shooters. IMHO to get full value you want to find a serious collector that is knowledgeable and appreciates these older classics and has the money to pay up.Thats a finite population. Good luck very nice WIN MOD 70.

Thank You for the insight of places to get this sold. I always like to give the Coues Whitetail group the first opportunity at the things I have for sale. If it doesn't sell in a little bit, I will put it up for sale elsewhere. Thanks again for the heads up.

GreyGhost, not sure if you are aware of the factory Winchester recoil pads on this model. It is specific to this model and does the exact opposite as it enhances the value to have it. A lot of people have replaced the recoil pads and that takes value away from the gun. The integrity of this gun is in tact in every way. Please in the future make sure what you post is accurate as to not run off a potential buyer. See the last line in the notes of the picture I posted with the Blue Book of Gun Values. It's in a lot of publications including the Model 70 Bible by Roger Rule. "The Rifleman's Rifle"
My apologies. I was not trying to hurt the sale and stand corrected. I own a couple pre-64 featherweights with the aluminum butt plates and was under the assumption that they had to be modified after market to accept the better, rubber kick pads. You wont have a problem getting you are asking. It is a fair price for a rare and extremely desirable rifle, especially with the recent hype of the 6.5 caliber. The .264 win was really ahead of its time. Good to see people finally appreciating it again.
  • Like 2

My apologies. I was not trying to hurt the sale and stand corrected. I own a couple pre-64 featherweights with the steel butt pads and was under the assumption that they had to be modified after market to accept the better, rubber kick pads. You won’t have a problem getting you are asking. It is a fair price for a rare and extremely desirable rifle, especially with the recent hype of the 6.5 caliber. The .264 win was really ahead of it’s time. Good to see people finally appreciating it again.

Thank you for the apology. There is so much info about Model 70's and changes in models that it's hard to keep track of. Like you I have a 1952 .308 Featherweight that was purchased new for $135.00 handed down to me and it has the original aluminum butt plate and a 22" barrel. My nephew has killed a couple elk with it. It's a great shooting gun and just a really nice gift. I bought this 264 quite a while back and it was just to pretty to pass up. I never shot it which is a crime but oh well.

Happy Hunting, Dave

How does it shoot?

I have never shot it. I've had it for around 12 years sitting in my gun safe.

Posted on other sales sites. Will leave up here until sold.

Some one needs to buy this one. Will run circles around the 6.5 Creedmoor, and these old 70's always shoot. Never been a better rifle made.

Dan

• Like 2

Just posted for local sale on Guns America. If it doesn't sell, it will go to auction.

What is the mater with you guys? Can't get a better rifle or a better 6.5. This is a great hunting rifle or excellent collector. Keep it in AZ don't let it get away.

Dan 

• Like 1