Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

Getting excited!

My dad and I were out looking at tanks yesterday for sign and to see what tanks till had water. What tanks that did have water were hammered with deer and bears. There were bear tracks walking up and down the roads and deer sign that made me way excited. I've got to get one of those trail cameras for one particular tank. Saw a huge black timber rattler there too. He was laying all coiled up in an old elk track waiting for a quail or something. After a while I hiked up on a nearby ridge about 1/2 mile away to look for sheds. About an hour later I glassed back towards the tank and there was a nice Coues buck getting a drink. I'M SOLD!!! If I get some time I'll definatly be sitting that one. :) I did end up finding one small 2pt Coues shed and we got out of there before it got way too hot.

Josh

Sounds like you found yourself a good spot. I was also out scouting this weekend and found a good tank that looks like its getting used pretty good. Saw a few deer both coues and muleys in the same area. Also found a small fork coues shed and a 4point muley shed both are white and look like they where there a while. Can't wait till Aug. 22. I'm ready to do some bowhunting.

Right on Fuentes. I'll go back next week with my new trail cam and set it up. Be putting up a treestand there also. There's never been a blind or treestand on this tank as far as I can tell. I'd like to be off the ground too cause those timber rattlers give me the creeps!

Anyone else getting out scouting yet?

Josh

I am kind of curious as to what you guys would pass on during archery season if you drew a rifle tag for that same year? I know some guys kill toads in velvet with their bows, but do you guys pass on 80 and 90 inch bow deer waiting for toads or if you drew a rifle tag or do you guys prefer getting them with bows? The only reason I ask is because I know of 3 or 4 water sources where I am pretty sure I could get shot oppertunities at velvet antlered deer in August and September but I like rifle hunting them in the winter and I pretty much suck with a bow as I haven't shot all that much with one. Do you guys ever think of hunting decent carp (160 inch class carp) with your bows in the early season over water, or just stick to coues? Sorry about all the questions, I am just new to the idea of bowhunting and thinking about my options here.... Thanks

Bret M.

Bullwidgeon, I'm a beginner coues bow hunter. I have never shot one with a bow. If I draw a Dec. tag I will hold out for a decent one. I have killed a few carp deer with a bow, but if a 160 class carp comes my way I will let an arrow fly. I want a coues deer but I won't turn down a nice big carp.

I have yet to shoot a Coues deer or even a Mule deer for that fact with a bow. I also enjoy hunting Coues deer in the fall with a rifle. I can tell you that a 80in. Coues deer or even a 140in. Mule deer shot with a bow is definitely a trophy.

Arizona Griz.

Keep in mind that the P&Y min. is 65" and for good reason. You don't get alot of chances at a Coues with a bow. The satisfaction of a 80" archery Coues is much greater than a 100" rifle Coues. I say if he is in your range take him and be proud of taking one of the greatest trophies of your life.

I am going to try and set up a natural ground blind in an area I scouted last year. I have never shot a deer with a bow and I wont be super picky on size but would like a 80" or better. I wont probably see anything but coues, but if a carp came along, I would stick it if it was a mature buck.......Allen........

Guest Guest

Gentlemen (and Amanda),

I was pokin around in one of the Northern units early this morning, was fortunate enough to get on some fresh whitetail tracks heading uphill from water and was able to follow them quite a ways up into an area that is obviously a bedding area. I am really jazzed about what I found in the way of heavily used trails, beds, and old rubs up there in the timber. This is a whitetail spot, yet there could be a few of that antlered carp species in there as well. While I was pokin around, a deer blew at me twice from across a small drainage, "PTOOOOOOH!!" I could not get a visual.

From my experience, I have convinced myself a long time ago that a blowing whitetail sounds like a loud wheezing - "PHEWEEEAAH!"

I really want to think that the deer I heard this morning is a whitetail, but my own (made up) rules about deer tell me otherwise. Anybody out there speak deer?

Guest Guest_Rembrant

Gentlemen (and Amanda),

I was pokin around in one of the Northern units early this morning, was fortunate enough to get on some fresh whitetail tracks heading uphill from water and was able to follow them quite a ways up into an area that is obviously a bedding area. I am really jazzed about what I found in the way of heavily used trails, beds, and old rubs up there in the timber. This is a whitetail spot, yet there could be a few of that antlered carp species in there as well. While I was pokin around, a deer blew at me from across a small drainage, "PTOOOOOOH!!" I could not get a visual.

From my experience, I have convinced myself a long time ago that a blowing whitetail sounds like a loud wheezing - "PHEWEEEAAH!"

I really want to think that the deer I heard this morning is a whitetail, but my own (made up) rules about deer tell me otherwise. Anybody out there speak deer?

Sorry about the dupe. I don't speak computer either.

Mike

Guest Brian Drake

I went out last weekend on July 5th and picked up my trail camera. I also liked what I saw at some of the tanks. I saw lots of whitetail tracks coming into four of the tanks that I have scouted out up here in the Northern part of the state. While I was sitting at one of the tanks last week that I liked, I noticed a timber rattler about three feet behind me coiled up in a log. It took about two hours of sitting before I noticed it behind me. I took pictures of the rattler and got out of there.

I got some great pics of some coues deer at the tank that I had it at, one 5-point bull elk with velvet too.

I SCOUTED 35A YESTERDAY, SEEN TWO BUCKS, ANTLERS ARE GROWING NOW, SEEN LOTS OF DOES, THE TWO BUCKS WERE TOGETHER. I AM READY FOR ARCHERY SEASON. I WILL PROBABLY HUNT UP NORTH FOR THE FIRST WEEKEND OF ARCHERY SO I CAN HUNT TURKEY, I HAVE A RIFLE TAG IN 35A, SO THE FOLLOWING WEEKENDS I WILL BE DOWN THERE TO SCOUT AND MAYBE GET LUCKY, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Guest coueschaser

Last year I had a awesome tank up north. I saw alot of whitetail and a couple bucks. Last day of the hunt I decided to sit my ground blind (below my treestand) because the water hole was about 100 yards to the other side, so if a buck came from the other side I could try to stalk him and get a chance. Well about 10 oclock I sat my bow down to get a drink. Well not even a minute came by when a spike and about a 90 inch buck were feeding towards the tank bout 20 yards away. Well i couldn't pick my bow up because my arrows were in my quiver and the bucks were kinda weary. Well just to say the big one came about 5 yards from me trying to figure out what I was and all i could do was watch in frustration. All I can say is if he's there this year he's going down. :D

Guest Guest_Brian

Wait a minute...kind of off topic...but there's another hard-core Coues' hunter on here named Brian Drake? Small world.

BD