Hoss50

Accuracy Issue *Update*

1 hour ago, roninflag said:

I have a several mannlicher rifles. except for the .222; I do not expect them to shoot with sporter rifles or varmint rifles. my  sako 30-06 was good enough to take an arctic wolf. I would try lapua brass and bullets. 

The loads I am working on with Berger bullets are using Lapua brass. 

My copper bullet loads are using Winchester brass because I have alot of it, and not enough Lapua brass to go around yet.

I have another round of loads worked up with 120gr GMX bullets, and another using 135gr Berger Classic Hunters. Next weekend will be range time.

I think this comes down to my rifle not really liking copper bullet, or maybe I need a lighter copper bullet. Neither the Barnes 127gr LRX or the Hornady shot well in my rifle. The Barnes weren't horrible, but neither would stay consistent. 

I sanded out the stock and went back to the range with 120gr GMX and 135gr Berger Classic Hunters. The GMX wouldn't shoot consistently. 

The 135gr Bergers did this.

20180923_114351.jpg

This was at the lower end of the workup, but all the groups were about 1" or better at 100yrds.

The hunt is getting too close to try more copper in this rifle so I am going to load some Bergers and roll with it. My buddies rifle and the longer range 300 win mag will run copper though. 

• Like 2

That's good enough for about 95% of hunting

1 hour ago, Zeke-BE said:

That's good enough for about 95% of hunting

I was really scared this was a rifle problem, and not a bullet problem. The rifle was basically new, and I had no baseline to go against when I started with the copper bullets. 

I was very relieved when the Bergers put down a bunch of consistent groups. Now I can dial in a load and hopefully tighten them up a little. Either way, I am thrilled the gun will shoot consistently at 1 MOA or less. 

• Like 2

The rifle and berger bullets performed well on my first Kaibab hunt. My buddy and I both took our deer with it.

The 4x4 was mine at about 250 yards. Mine didn't exit.

391512075_20181026_082234_8989498_resized.thumb.jpg.f460f69f685492e777aa132ddd8a4710.jpg

The fork horn was his at about 40 yards. He hit it quartering toward him through the chest and out behind the opposite shoulder. It made a nasty exit wound.

20181031_172849.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a great looking 4x4 you got.  I hope your friend decided to shoot that little forky on the last day of the hunt in the bab!

It was day 6, and we had not seen anything bigger since opening morning during shooting hours. His twisted his knee the day prior and was in rough shape for hiking. He gutted it out all day on day 6 and this little guy presented himself so he took it knowing it might be the last opportunity he would get.

He was about ready to call off the hunt in general so it was great that he got this one. He is a tough dude so I know he was hurting bad to think about calling it. 

• Like 1

His knee was in bad enough shape that he is probably going to need to at least have it scoped and cleaned up if not more. He is sometimes a little to tough for his own good.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, Hoss50 said:

I sanded the barrel channel this afternoon after I finished a bunch of house stuff. 

When I pulled the stock off it had some high spots in it near the base of the barrel, and a high spot where the sling stud started to come through the stock. I sanded all those as well as the left side of the barrel channel that seemed to be much tighter to the barrel than the right. We will see if it helps next time I am at the range. Thanks for the help. 

I might also have this thing bedded to see if that helps. 

Please let us know how it goes.  I believe you are on the right track.  The barrel is heating up and is touching a high spot.

Good luck !