Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Unit 1 Mearns

Found a couple of coveys of Mearns in Unit 1, by springerville.  dang things scared the heck out of me.  Does anybody know if they transplanted or are natural?

DSCN3859.JPG

DSCN3858.JPG

• Like 2

I don't know but I hope they keep growing in numbers in there

• Like 1

I’ve been seeing them in small coveys for a while there close to our summer home there in town. Just last year I bumped about 30-40 in one covey, biggest I’ve seen and yes they about scared the crap out of me. Seen them as high as 10,000’ in elevation when hunting grouse all the way to there in town.  

• Like 1

They’ve been there for a while. Hoping the numbers keep growing there. Randy Babb of game and fish is doing a study on them up in higher elevations. Wondering how they survive the snowy winters. 

• Like 2

Natural. They are in similar places/elevations in the Gila in NM and further east. I've bumped in to quite a few covey's throughout different parts of the ASNF.

• Like 2

was surprised a few years ago with huge coveys of scaled quail in the area between vernon and whiting knoll.  and gambels' around the area where chevelon creek meets the lcr.  have seen mearns' from linden to black canyon lake in 3C.

lee

• Like 3