Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

Looking for quail North of Pheonix

I hate to do this. I know how a lot of you feel about E-scouting and I feel the same way but....

I have a brother that lives in Anthem, north of Pheonix, who is looking at chasing some quail. Being from Tucson himself and I don't got that far north we know no areas up there. He just got himself a pointer thats about a year old now that needs to see some birds. He just got lied-off from Pulte Homes and may be moving out of state this summer so he would like to chase the quail while he still has a chance.

Thanks for reading. You can PM me if you would rather not disclose any info publicly.

Mike

I would head down to Patagonia and chase some Mearns that will hold for point.

Those devil's Gambels may run and flush 70 yards out and keep running when they hit the ground, like I had happen repeatedly yesterday. Stay away from the cholla, for the dogs sake. Bloody basin, Orme Rd, Mayer, Rye might be places to start.

I hope these rains continue all spring and the Gambels can rebound. Last and this year have been tough, even in the "secret spots". I actually heard a call yesterday.

Below is a not so secret spot judging by the traffic on the nearby road

Gambelscampverde1-25-08011.jpg

Tony, I have been selling that quail map you gave me for 10 bucks. Did you want a commission?

Hey Red Rabbit. I was thinking the same thing with this rain. You said you herd a call? was it a courtship call already? I didn't know this till just a few month ago but the males will not call for females unless they are healthy enough to breed. Not only does hearing them mean that they are out there but that they are healthy.

Mike

Have you ever heard a scallie call? I hunt with a guy, 50+ years old, who grew up hunting in AZ and I FINALLY convinced him of their call. I've herd it all season long this year. Usualy they call only in the first part. You can use the same call you use for gambles.

Have you ever heard a scallie call?

I haven't heard one myself, but my cousin's aunt knows a guy who told her his brother knows someone who heard one once. ;)

Doug,

The rains are great, and we likely already have enough moisture for a good hatch this year. The weeds in my front yard are already 6" tall. This moisture will also go a long way to help the deer population as long as we also get some good monsoon rains this summer.

You can mail the check to me at my regular street address. -TONY

Thanks guys! My brother got out today and he had his best hunt up there this year. He realy needed a trip like he had. He said his pup did realy well. We have been working with her, she was gun-shy, but it looks like she is getting over it. Here is a pic that he sent me.

post-1770-1201839554_thumb.jpg