varnco

Unit 10 Cow Elk

My buddy and I went up scouting Unit 10 (Bo Ranch) this past weekend, as we have the first Cow Elk Rifle in Mid October. The Bo side of the unit wasn't what I was expecting... mainly rolling hills, a lot of juniper and SOME juniper/pinon mix. I was expecting more pinion and a bit more elevation/canyons. But we're focusing on that side, as we understand there are elk there and likely less hunters (I've been told the further west and north you go, the less hunters [williams area will be slammed])

Previous advice I've been given is that by October they'll not be bugling, will be spooked and looking for sanctuary areas to hide. When there are no deep canyons, do they just tend to go to remote areas and hunker down during the day? What is a "sanctuary" area when there are no deep canyons? Can't sit water, use cameras, tree stand/blinds, ATV/UTV.

Spotted only 3 cow elk - all loners, but the temperature was at about 89 - 90 degrees still, and felt hot in the sun. I thought we might start hearing some bugling, but didn't hear a peep at all. Not feeling too excited at this point.

Unit 10 is HUUUUUGE!

Is it possible that bugling is running late due to the hit, so it may run longer into October, or is that just wishful thinking?

They are there!  Unit 10 is nothing but a glassing unit.  Then drive another mile up and glass.  Hike up the next hill and glass.  Sometimes I see them all day and then sometimes it takes days to see one.  Don't let it get to you.  Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varnco said:

Is it possible that bugling is running late due to the hit, so it may run longer into October, or is that just wishful thinking?

There may be some bugling, but don't count on it.  Likely some at night or before daylight, but that all depends on the cows and if their cycle is running late.  Typically by that time they're done.  That said, bulls bugle all year long so you may want to send out a "location bugle" to see what happens.  If you do hear a bugle or two, it's quite possible that the bulls will be solitary by then.

Funny story, my wife had a December unit 10 cow tag in '05 and it was spitting snow (her first hunt in a while).  She got cold and asked me to just "call one in" for her.  I told her it doesn't quite work that way, especially in December, but after insisting I gave it a try (cow calls) and sure enough called in a herd of cows where she proceeded to take a very large one.  You just never can tell...

• Like 2

Elk are very vocal year round if you ever listen to a herd of cows that are not being bothered you will hear alot of cow talk. Get on google earth and find some areas on the ranch that have an area of openness that is in one of the patch's that the roads go around but do not cross thru. Some are a couple miles across hike into these areas before daylight and you will usually find the herds in there feeding. They are easy to see on google earth. During mid day put the wind in your face and creep thru the thickest stands of trees and follow the trails watching ahead of you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim said:

Elk are very vocal year round if you ever listen to a herd of cows that are not being bothered you will hear alot of cow talk. Get on google earth and find some areas on the ranch that have an area of openness that is in one of the patch's that the roads go around but do not cross thru. Some are a couple miles across hike into these areas before daylight and you will usually find the herds in there feeding. They are easy to see on google earth. During mid day put the wind in your face and creep thru the thickest stands of trees and follow the trails watching ahead of you.

Thanks. What are their preferred food? Just grasses? I know coes for example, are find of the flower on barrel cactus.

You really think they will be in the open in October?

7 hours ago, 1uofacat said:

There may be some bugling, but don't count on it.  Likely some at night or before daylight, but that all depends on the cows and if their cycle is running late.  Typically by that time they're done.  That said, bulls bugle all year long so you may want to send out a "location bugle" to see what happens.  If you do hear a bugle or two, it's quite possible that the bulls will be solitary by then.

Funny story, my wife had a December unit 10 cow tag in '05 and it was spitting snow (her first hunt in a while).  She got cold and asked me to just "call one in" for her.  I told her it doesn't quite work that way, especially in December, but after insisting I gave it a try (cow calls) and sure enough called in a herd of cows where she proceeded to take a very large one.  You just never can tell...

Care to join me for an hour and call one in for me on day 1? 🙂

8 hours ago, Zeke-BE said:

They are there!  Unit 10 is nothing but a glassing unit.  Then drive another mile up and glass.  Hike up the next hill and glass.  Sometimes I see them all day and then sometimes it takes days to see one.  Don't let it get to you.  Good luck and happy hunting.

Curious, when glassing, not in early a.m., where are you looking? Shadows under pinion and junipers? No trees in the Bo.

8 hours ago, varnco said:

Thanks. What are their preferred food? Just grasses? I know coes for example, are find of the flower on barrel cactus.

You really think they will be in the open in October?

Yes, they will be in the open in Oct. they’ll get into little draws and hide out.  Glass early and hope to catch them on the tops of the hills. My buddy is 2 for 2 doing this and going for 3rd hopefully this yr.  in the middle of straight up antelope country. 

I will be there helping my dad hopefully harvest his first elk.  We're hoping to find some secluded spots off the ranch, on public land though.  We never hunted this unit or this type of cow hunt (700+ tags).  Preparing ourselves for the crowds.  Good luck!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, G_E_E said:

I will be there helping my dad hopefully harvest his first elk.  We're hoping to find some secluded spots off the ranch, on public land though.  We never hunted this unit or this type of cow hunt (700+ tags).  Preparing ourselves for the crowds.  Good luck!!!

Good luck!