Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

Off to 4b

Heading up to 4b to set up camp for my nephew's first trophy cow elk hunt.  Lol

If anyone up there needs help or just wants a s'more, give me a shout. 

Actually I dont have any s'mores so please bring me some. 

• Like 6

Poor man’s Unit 9. Should be a fun week. Enjoy the trip, wish I was heading out right now!

• Like 1

I have a 4b bull tag. I won't be hunting until my brother gets here from Indiana on Sunday. First time missing opening day....it's killing me. Last weekend I was practicing my calling from the campfire and had two bulls bugling. It's gonna be a warm one.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

no joy on cows this weekend.  called in many bulls but couldn't find a single cow.  heading back next week.  

I was up there and busted a big herd with a couple of bulls and 20 plus cows off of 153 and 153c.   Bulls were screaming!!!!!

FINALLY.

After much running around finding nothing but HUGE trophy class bulls every day( it IS 4b after all), we finally found some cows.

Tuesday morning we went to my super secret spot and sat down on the east side of a small meadow. Wind was good, temp was good, light rain off and on. Perfect.

I called a little bit and had a young 5x5 bull streak across the meadow straight to us. Played with him for a few minutes when a large 6x6 bull with 8 cows came in from across the meadow. Coaxed them closer and Nephew picked a small cow and put a perfect 20 yd shot into its side quartering away. For his first hunt he did an excellent job. Didn't screw up on anything. lol

The damage from the Montec CS braodheads was amazing. Straight up carnage. I have never seen anything like it. I shoot the regular Montecs which have been great, but this was just....awesome. I think it was due to the quartering away angle, but DANG. There was no blood "trail"...it was a blood SLICK. for 60 yds nothing but a red carpet.

Young man did a good job hanging in there and getting it done. It was "just a cow", but the hunt was the same. Had he a bull tag we would have been done on day one... figures.

• Like 7

Awesome!!!  Congrats to the Nef