Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Done for 2008!!!

Well my buddy Brandon is done for 2008 now. We went out Friday to one of his spots in 24B before we both had to be to work at 2 in hopes of finding some of the bucks that he had been seeing in the area.

So friday we got up bright and early and got to our first glassing point about 30 minutes after glassing light. I am normally up for some good hikes and thought I hiked at a fast pace but Brandon is just plain ridiculous. He walks like an antelope runs! So we got up to our perch and started glassing. We glassed for around 30 minutes and I picked up a herd of javelina. We watched the pigs for a while and moved up the canyon farther to try to find the deer. We got to the next perch and Brandon picked up a 2x1 that he has seen many times. He was feeding right towards us so I snuck down and was able to get to 100 yards. After the buck went away we moved up to yet another area in hopes of finding one of the bigger bucks. We smelt a rotten carcas and found a dead pig. Brandon told me that earlier in the week he had found a blood trail up on the ridge the pig was on so we figured an archer just never found his pig. We got up to where we wanted to be and after another 30 minutes of glassing Brandon had found a doe about 2000 yards out. He got me setup to where the doe was and I spotted a buck walking up to the doe and right away we both knew it was a good buck. So we went ahead and cut the distance in half and relocated the buck bedded. Brandon then went on the stalk. The terrain was really rocky and was tough stalking to say the least. He worked his way up and around and got right up on the buck. He was able to get a clear shot and the buck ran about 50 yards and piled up. This was Brandons first archery buck and it was a great day in the field. Sadly we ended up being an hour late to work but I think they understood :P

ArcheryDeer-04.jpg

ArcheryDeer-19-1.jpg

ArcheryDeer-13-1.jpg

Sweet Buck! Congrats to the hunter.

Thanks for posting the story and pics for us younghunter.

Phil

24B is definetely a hard stalking unit. Congrats to your friend, another awesome muley down.

Matt S.

Good for you !

Not an easy task to accomplish, but you ended up with a really nice buck.

defenitley one for your memory books.

Nice buck for sure! Gotta love spot and stalk muley's.