lamrith

Recommended sounds/calls for E-calling Predators

Well I am heading to 34A in Nov for a coues hunt.  Also bringing an Ecaller with plans to do some predator management if possible.  I have never predator hunted before, or used an ecaller, but the one I have allows download of sounds to it and has good sized memory (.wav&.mp3).

So what are the recommended go-to sounds I should look for and load up?  I was thinking Jackrabbit in distress and a couple other sounds, as well as fawn in distress, yote in distress.  Any other recommended ones, or particular types of yote howls/barks that work well?  Maybe other game sounds?  

My hope is to get some yotes, maybe get lucky and have a cat slink in.

Some might argue predator calling during a deer hunt isn't the best time to do so. Aside from that, I've called in critters, mostly coyotes, with virtually every type of sound from bird/rodent/rabbit/deer distress to coyote vocalizations and fox fights. Starting out calling quietly with realistic sounds and progressing in volume is more important than the sound type itself. If anything, different is better, not specifically what someone online said was best. 

Location is more important than the calls. Using the wind and good hunting tactics is more important than the location. Predators aren't very forgiving to sloppy hunting. There are more beginners that have called in a coyote and not known it than those that have called them in and killed them.  Good luck, get out there and learn as best you can without giving out any free education.

• Like 1

Thanks CouesPursuit!  I will surely make sure to check wind and get a spot were I am not sitting out in the sun like a beacon.  

I would not be undertaking predator calling unless I am tagged out on deer is 1st.  If I do it would be well away from were the rest of the group is hunting as well.

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

Some might argue predator calling during a deer hunt isn't the best time to do so. Aside from that, I've called in critters, mostly coyotes, with virtually every type of sound from bird/rodent/rabbit/deer distress to coyote vocalizations and fox fights. Starting out calling quietly with realistic sounds and progressing in volume is more important than the sound type itself. If anything, different is better, not specifically what someone online said was best. 

Location is more important than the calls. Using the wind and good hunting tactics is more important than the location. Predators aren't very forgiving to sloppy hunting. There are more beginners that have called in a coyote and not known it than those that have called them in and killed them.  Good luck, get out there and learn as best you can without giving out any free education.

to those people that do, They can suck it ;)

1 hour ago, lamrith said:

Thanks CouesPursuit!  I will surely make sure to check wind and get a spot were I am not sitting out in the sun like a beacon.  

I would not be undertaking predator calling unless I am tagged out on deer is 1st.  If I do it would be well away from were the rest of the group is hunting as well.

Call anywhere and anytime you want, your more than likely to call in more deer/pigs elk than you think.

I use high pitched calls. Lighting jack is a decent one. even though everyone and there brother uses it, it still calls in yotes.  anything with a high pitch will get them coming in. I havent had luck with low pitch calls, but thats just me.

the fox in distress is a great call also. just remember high pitch calls.

We have  foxpro  we use when bow huntign yotes, for shotguns or rifles I prefer mouth calls.  if your down south your going to get lots of foxs so be on your toes.

BTW we called in lots of yotes over in wenas , american forks  below chinook pass we called in a few lion as well as greenwater area.(im sure you know those areas up in Wa.) all with the circe 3 in one call on the high pitch one

• Like 1

Thanks, I snagged a Johnny Stewart Caller GS-2 so I have 256mb of space for MP#/wav files.  

Stumbled on this site that has a ton of calls and I will download a bunch.

https://averageoutdoorsman.com/wild-game-downloads/

I will make sure to look up the regs on fox's.  Just verified zero on rifle and ammo lastnight, so that is set and now I will focus on getting a good mix of calls loaded and practice using the remote with my offhand.

Yes, I know those names in WA, not hunted any of them yet, but greenwater is close and I have gone shooting up there.

Delw,

I got a kick out of your mention of Greenwater. My family used to go there when I was growing up, in Puyallup during the 60s and 70s. My grandpa used to hunt there in the 50s. We moved away in 76. 

16 hours ago, Bisbee said:

Delw,

I got a kick out of your mention of Greenwater. My family used to go there when I was growing up, in Puyallup during the 60s and 70s. My grandpa used to hunt there in the 50s. We moved away in 76. 

No shoot, when dad Retired from the navy we moved to puyallup, south hill cherokee park sub division. we moved there in 77 or 78 I left dec 1981.

guessing you went to puyallup high or kinick middle school? I went to Rogers on south hill

That area was my favorite place for fishing and hunting, especially the very late high mountain deer hunts in nov. the fishing up in those high mountain lakes were off the hook.

in 1981 we had a huge snow storm during the hunt.I woke up to almost 3 feet of snow. My bronco got snowed in even the winch and 4 tire chains couldnt get me out., had to hike straight down to the 410 freeway (think it was the 410) finally got it out 3 weeks later before I moved down south. I left everything up there except my .308 and dog. long, buddies of mine and I had to dig everything out didnt find my Seiko watch till year later when I went back to see my mom and Dad. f'n had hike down the cliff to the highway. luckly I got a ride just before the entrance to green water. was a long freaking hike once I got on the freeway just to find someone to give me a lift.

I did not end up predator calling at all.  However I could and should have had a coyote on the 4th day, he snuck up on me when I was sitting and glassing, was 9yrds behind me to my right, when I turned and he bolted.  I had rifle ready but not able to get on him, he had a buddy 35yrds out right behind me.  Then a few min later when I turned back around to watch the far hillside again his buddy popped up 20yrds away to my right and I was again unready for him.  GRRRR

HAHA  you got lucky the Delw!  People getting lost up there and tuck all the time.

I live a few miles from Rodgers but over in the FP School district.  Wife and both my kids went to FP.  I think you did good moving out, at least compared to now.  Not to get to political, but hunting, fishing, being left alone has gone to the wayside up here the last couple years.  The hunting has gotten bad and everything else is getting very "CA" very very fast.

• Like 1