Sign in to follow this  
JakeL

Cell signal in the Superstitions?

I plan on being in the Reavis/Apache Lake area of the superstition wilderness.  How likely am I to find cell service at the tops of most of the ridges and mountains?  I’ve heard from some that only a very few of the very tallest points will have any signal.  I’ve heard from others that many of the peaks and high points will have some signal.  

Anyone have ave experience with this they can share?  I use Verizon if that makes any difference.

sporadic service, the higher you are, you will get service. I was at the lake this summer and had service

What Redman said, it is hit and miss. If you get on the right mountain you can have service but its sporadic.

Reavis trailhead has cell service.

You could try checking the Verizon website and look for a map that shows the location of their repeaters. I would expect them to be by the dam and by the town of Roosevelt near the 288 intersection. Your phone is basically just a UHF radio so to make a connection you'll need to have close to line of sight from your location to the repeater. It's a little easier to accomplish that if you know where the repeater is. You can expect around a 15-mile signal range. 20 miles is probably pushing it.

If you are going to be in your vehicle, get a weboost cell booster. There is "almost" no place in Az that I cannot get at least enough signal to text. Usually I have enough to email and access data.