Sign in to follow this  
kfallsrob

2018 youth deer success

Had a great youth hunt this year. We deep fried turkey on Thanksgiving day at our deer camp and enjoyed the afternoon around the campfire, filling our bellies. It was a pretty tough hunt this year considering the area was really hit hard during the general season and the rut had not started. Opening morning we glassed up a lot of deer, but could only come up with a small forked horn which both boys passed on. Lots of glassing and hiking with little to get excited about. Friday evening we found another group of hunters in the area we planned on hunting, so we went to plan B to see if we could locate anything before dark. We found a small 4x3 with minutes to spare of shooting light and my 13 year old put the hammer on him for his very first deer.  The following morning, I sent my oldest son into an area I hunted as a kid, that has always been a productive area. He located 2 nice bucks, which included a 4x4 and 3x2. After several hours of crawling on his hands and knees through the rocks and cactus, he got close enough to make a shot in the wide open country on the bigger of the 2 bucks and got it done again. He has shot mature bucks the last 3 years in a row. Super proud of both these young men.

Boys 2018 deer.jpg

Michael 2018 deer.jpg

• Like 6
  • Great Buck! 1