Sign in to follow this  
Bigfish86

Reloading .308

I'm new to reloading and was curious how many of you actually reload your own rounds? And the specs of them projectiles weights, powders, primers? I've never reloaded my own ammo before except shotgun shells so was just curious what your test loads were working up to for a starting point.

Try Hornady 178 ELDX.  Varget powder, start around 40 grains and go up 1/2 grain at a time keeping an eye out for pressure signs.  Usually you will see pressure signs around 42 grains but some chambers will be much higher.  Federal 210 GMM primers.

Varget is magic in the .308 ! Panhandle precision has a good series on reloading on youtube check it out you will learn alot. I bet there are some other great videos on there to learn from.  Get a good reloading manual for your starting loads. If you can find someone who reloads and have them sit down with you and show how they reload. 

Varget has never treated me well. No matter the cartridge it just doesn't shoot for me. IMR 4064 and H4895, however, have worked very well for me. 42.0gr of IMR 4064 under a Sierra 175gr bullet in the .308 has been a very consistent and accurate load in multiple rifles.  Do yourself a favor and buy a reloading manual and read the front half. It will give you everything you need to know and the proper way to set things up to get started. 

• Like 1

I'm getting a reloading manual and will be going over it with a fine tooth comb I'm excited to learn to reload and hope it helps with my shooting I'm not bad at it but would like to get more accurate and I feel that factory ammo will only go so far in the accuracy stage

The .308 has got to be one of the easiest cartridges to load and find accuracy for. 

With that said, one of the easiest bullets by far for me to get accurate has been the 165 nbts in that cartridge. 

Don’t forget playing with seating depth, watch for runout and so on. 

Ok well all this is definitely making me feel better about reloading this round and making it accurate and very consistent, I'm shooting a howa hogue 1500 I absolutely love the rifle and how it shoots but I know it can definitely get more accurate with the ammo aspect of it then the rest is up to me getting use to the rifle since it's new to me.

Varget, 4064, H322, W748 are all good choices I would shoot 150's to 168's. WHat is the twist and your objective?

My twist is 1:10 and as far as a objective consistent I just want a consistent round that I have zero questions about as I will be using it to hunt everything from javelina to deer to elk.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, Titanium700 said:

Accubonds seem to be really accurate all around for me. 

I don’t have my notes handy to give you a load. 

Well if you ever want to PM me some information I will never turn it down and I appreciate the info 

Get one of the major bullet company books (I suggest Berger's book) as they all have good reloading information.  If you are set on a specific bullet and weight, buy that brand's book.  Don't trust loads you read about online unless they are from one of The Books from a know powder or bullet company.  Stay away from the Load Data books as while convenient, the information is very very very old.

Don't get discouraged if your first attempts don't work out.  This hobby takes practice and patience.  It is good you have a mentor.  I had several that helped me a lot.  Finally if your first attempts don't work out, try a different bullet, bullet and powder.  My particular .308 took some time and many dead ends before I found the 1 MOA load I was looking for.

Welcome to the hobby and beware it is addicting.

Thanks whitesheep I appreciate the info I know I will run into diffrent dead ends with reloading I dont have a problem with that I expected it already but I wont give up till I have conquered the Mt. And find that magical load. I also plan on making a load book of all the different loads I make to keep track of all of them.