Maricopa Teacher

Maricopa / Yavapai Apache instructor

Hello . I am an instructor  among my village ( Maricopa) I am reaching out to this group in search of  a Deer donation . I am seeking a whole Deer minus the carcass . I need the Deer for instruction with the young boys  in my village 12 years and up. We will teach them the tanning process  and how to make a historical  Deer hunter disguise . I am 59 years old ( an elder ) and also disabled . I cant go out to harvest my own Deer . You may google my name  and Apache Teacher to learn more about my work , also you may see work I am doing now  with our youth on my Facebook account . Blessings  

50218014_387739771978512_2463837684754284544_n (1).jpg

49652851_336378610533755_4255929805670711296_n.jpg

• Like 1

a Maricopa fishing class , Maricopa Fish Basket and gear. Fish Basket: Willow twig with a Mesquite root hoop tied on with Agave cactus fiber twined . Fishing pole : Giant reed with cotton line  and a pumice stone fish float and a Fish Hook Barrel cactus spine  for the Hook 

Welcome aboard, Richard. Look around the forum and post away. Hope to get with you soon on traditional bow making. Do you give pointers on napping as well?

58 minutes ago, Maricopa Teacher said:

a Maricopa fishing class , Maricopa Fish Basket and gear. Fish Basket: Willow twig with a Mesquite root hoop tied on with Agave cactus fiber twined . Fishing pole : Giant reed with cotton line  and a pumice stone fish float and a Fish Hook Barrel cactus spine  for the Hook 

Yes as Tom said Welcome Richard, glad you found us. I have seen your posts on Facebook this past week. Arizona has a lot of volcanic rock but I have yet to find pumice. I found much of it in my youth on Long Island. I don't know if they  used it but on our small island there were thirteen tribes. The Canarsie, Rockaway, Matinecock, Merrick, Massapequa, Nissequoge, Secatoag, Seatauket, Patchoag, Corchaug, Shinnecock, Manhasset and Montauk.

• Like 1

So your looking for a deer, while skin, bones, hooves? Just no meat? If that’s the case I’d start looking in August-January. I’ll keep an eye out if I get or hear of any salvage tags this summer

• Like 1

Thank you for your kindness I have had  a few come forward with a Deer but so far it has been just talk . One guy in San Diego has one but is slow  to reply . I did ask him if he is willing to ship it  to me  I am growing old waiting  to find out . I hate to even say I also could use a pronghorn  Shavillquinnor  Feather of many colors Buzzard clan Maricopa tribe 

Awesome to see you teaching the next generation. Once upon a time I was gonna be a teacher, then I found out I can't stand other people's children.  Now I own a business and I'm essentially a babysitter of grown men. Only marginally better then being a teacher.

Unfortunately it's the wrong time of year for your needs, next deer hunt will be in August.  So are you basically looking for a hide?

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Yes as Tom said Welcome Richard, glad you found us. I have seen your posts on Facebook this past week. Arizona has a lot of volcanic rock but I have yet to find pumice. I found much of it in my youth on Long Island. I don't know if they  used it but on our small island there were thirteen tribes. The Canarsie, Rockaway, Matinecock, Merrick, Massapequa, Nissequoge, Secatoag, Seatauket, Patchoag, Corchaug, Shinnecock, Manhasset and Montauk.

3 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Awesome to see you teaching the next generation. Once upon a time I was gonna be a teacher, then I found out I can't stand other people's children.  Now I own a business and I'm essentially a babysitter of grown men. Only marginally better then being a teacher.

Unfortunately it's the wrong time of year for your needs, next deer hunt will be in August.  So are you basically looking for a hide?

I have been contacted by men who say they have a complete deer in the freezer , but it has only been talk no action yet. I am reaching out to every one to see if some one would come froward with an intact hide . It may be a Couse white tail or a Mule Deer . I am also seeking a pronghorn . I am willing to invite  the donor to my class and watch the tanning process ( I could use some help also )and also to our celebrations

Dr. Leslie Spier did his research among my people in 1930 He described what the current life was like and what life was like by questioning elders  and other adults. He observed the Boys of the village using Giant reed poles  ( very large ) I have 4 in my home  that are over 7 1/2 feet tall ) cotton fishing line ( I stand in one place hand braiding these for hours ) and pumice stone floats with Fisk Hook cactus spines for the hooks  . He does not say where the stone was gathered at , but I can only imagine that may have had access to this at the local store? I would love to research this in Arizona  as we traveled to many places and traded with my tribes  in Mexico all the way to northern Arizona with the Hopi. We also hunted Apaches all of them  for our selves  and for the US Calvary 1865-1866 Arizona first volunteers  later to become the Arizona national guard and then the Bush Masters of world two  then retired our last mission what to knock out radar on an island close to Japan  to allow the Nola Gay to set off the Atom Bomb. My photo shows this fishing pole  and gear. My question for you is : Of all the tribes you have named how many are still around  or have then been killed off ?

37 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Welcome, I will check around

I could use your help and also the young men of my village . You may also be invited to see this process and you may also help tan the hide and learn other ways of my tribe  as time goes by Blessings

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Welcome aboard, Richard. Look around the forum and post away. Hope to get with you soon on traditional bow making. Do you give pointers on napping as well?

I would welcome any and all help with traditional bow  work and arrows . Do you know what woods were use by the Yaqui for bows . If you find this out I would be happy to help you carve one  with arrow weed and cane arrows ' I have used Iron wood  for the heads  they last longer then knapped heads all it takes is one miss and the head will shatter . With Iron wood you miss and all you need do is resharpen it . They work great for Deer Javalina  and  when made small Rabbits 

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

This is why I only teach Boys 12 years and up . I got no time to deal with unruly kids . Your heart sounds like it is in a good place, with your Business . I am seeking help with obtaining an  in -tact hide with the Head , antlers , neck in place and not cut into and the total hide  down to the hoofs in place . I will teach our boys how to tan and prepare the skull plate  with two holes to tie it  to your head  and also the paint used to color the hunters face arms and legs . I am also looking  for  a rack  to teach the boys how to rattle for the deer  while in this deer disguise , Deer are hunted year round on my reservation If I was not so disabled I would hunt them myself 

That sounds like some great teaching. My one word of caution would be never use deer camouflage while hunting during a rifle season.  You don't want someone shooting at you thinking  you are an actual deer!  

I think you need to be patient until the next AZ hunt. Full bodies are hard to come by right now.  Very interested in seeing more of your posts.

43 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

That sounds like some great teaching. My one word of caution would be never use deer camouflage while hunting during a rifle season.  You don't want someone shooting at you thinking  you are an actual deer!  

I think you need to be patient until the next AZ hunt. Full bodies are hard to come by right now.  Very interested in seeing more of your posts.

I agree with your words . I have been contacted by a few hunters  but so far its only words  no result . The Hunting Disguise is only to be used as a teaching aid  and to be used in our festivals . this historical practice has not been done in over a hundred years . This is something I am trying to bring back if only to be shown 

• Like 1