couestaxi

UPS loses cabelas TAGS

It is a matter of due process--true, if it were ONE of us we probably would not be allowed to have a meeting with the commission but since it includes a whole lot more then the commission needs to hear what Cabela's has to say. Due process is all that is being done today and i do not believe the commission would or will give the extension--however, i do believe there may be an exception on bonus points and i think that will be wrong.

Way back in 1986 i was drawn for an elk tag in 6A for archery--i was pumped up when i found out and even more pumped up when i got the tag in the mail--imagine how i felt when game and fish called me and told me because of one of the checks bouncing i had to give my tag back--not my check but a persons that was in my envelope. They wouldn't even talk to me about the tag--they simply stated that rules were the rules and i had to hand deliver my tag back to the office and if i were to be caught hunting with the tag then i would be cited.

No, the bottom line is rules are rules and that is the way it should be.

I do think DB has a good point and one that i agree with--Cabela's wouldn't be doing their job if they were not asking for this from the commission--i would say that they know already what the result would be but i still believe they will angle for some kind of preference on bonus points lost and loyalty points--that is the only fear i have and that is why i will be there to speak on the issue.

I to thought of gettin a bunch made, could not decide if it would say cabelas or cabelas T.A.G.S...... being that i work at bass pro the sticker would prove quite hilarious, unfortunately i doubt the company would help out by makin the sticker but awesome suggestion. We all need to get somthin together and get us some anti cabelas sticker! any one know who got the uso ones started? any opinions on a format?

I personally think allowing the hearing by the Game and Fish is a smart move. It allows the Game & Fish to publicly end all arguments. Cabelas has stated they wont push a lawsuit and will respect the Game & Fishes final decision. The reason I think the public hearing move is smart (Note I'm not saying its right) is because I highly doubt that Cabelas has not attempted to pressure the Game and Fish behind closed doors. I think the public hearing is proof that the Game and Fish is sticking to their guns and has not cowed to Cabelas yet. IF they deny Cabelas at the meeting then the whole situation is over. Who knows though, the Game and Fish might just reach for their ankles on this one.

Some more interesting reading.

I was interested in whether or not the G&F could give the TAGS applicants bonus points

There is a process in place to issue new tags and bonus points but it is only when the G&F has made an error...

R12-4-104

Application Procedures for Issuance of Hunt

Permit-tags by Drawing and Purchase of

Bonus Points

R. If the Director determines that Department error caused

an individual to submit an invalid application for a hunt

permit-tag, prevented an individual from lawfully submitting

an application, caused the rejection of an application

for a hunt permit-tag, or caused the denial of a hunt

permit-tag, the Director may authorize an additional

hunt permit-tag if the issuance of an additional hunt

permit-tag will have no significant impact on the wildlife

population to be hunted and the application for the hunt

permit-tag would have otherwise been successful based

on its random number. The Director may also authorize

the awarding of a bonus point to correct the error if a

hunt permit-tag is not issued. If the Director determines

that Department error caused the failure to apply an

applicant’s bonus points to an application, the Director

may authorize an additional hunt permit-tag to correct

the error, if the issuance of an additional hunt permit-tag

will have no significant impact on the wildlife population

to be hunted. The Director may also authorize the

awarding of a bonus point to correct the error if a hunt

permit-tag is not issued. An individual who is denied a

hunt permit-tag or a bonus point under this procedure

may appeal to the Commission as provided under A.R.S.

Title 41, Chapter 6, Article 10.

Lee

The right thing was done, 5 aye to deny request.

They denied the extension request.

Now just keep your fingers crossed that Cabela's is good to their word and they don't sue over the outcome.

If I were the AZ G&F Department I'd hurry to get the draw complete and results posted as quickly as possible to avoid any court orders like what happened with the USO verdict several years ago.

Thank you AZ G&F Department for doing the right thing!!!!!

With the commission voting unanimously to decline the deadline extension and to deny any issuance of bonus points and loyalty points, I feel they did what was right and just. Many of us emailed the commission before the hearing, now we should email them a note of thanks.

I do not hold any ill feelings towards Cabelas for requesting the meeting in that they were trying to represent their TAGS customers. Some of us, in the past, have talked to G&F about mistakes we have made on apps or driving up 5 minutes late in order to get denied permits, BP or admitted into the draw. Cabelas was doing the same, but in a public meeting they requested. I hope they stand by their word and do not file any suit. I also hope Cabelas continues to support the sportsmen of AZ, and the sportsmen continue to support Cabelas.

The difficult thing for Cabelas will now be between them and their TAGS applicants. Just as I could not see the G&F accountable/liable to Cabelas, I cannot see them liable to the TAGS applicants.

Doug~RR

I agree Doug I thought the commission did a great job with how they handled this, at least that is how I feel now that I heard what was said. I think Cabelas and UPS were there to try to do what was best for their customers, even though I still don't agree with how they did it. One thing that I am not happy about was the mention that a Cabelas employee asked an AZGFD employee to accept the Apps. and just keep it between them, it does show that the AZGFD employee showed a ton of integrity and I commend that as well, and it shows the Cabelas employee was probably worried sick because he knew the package was going to be late.

Cabelas did say that they would abide by any decision made by the Dept., and would not pursue it any further, there was mention that a few of their clients might pursue further action. Cabelas also made mention that there were numerous false accusations going around in chat rooms and on forums, there were 568 applicants, not 40,000, there was no strongarming or underhanded means or threats of lawsuits used by cabelas on the dept., they appeared to have been monitoring websites and the information provided on these websites, and wanted to set the record straight that they were only following due process. They also mentioned that they supported state wildlife agencies and did not sue them, and they wanted to remind us all that they were approached and had denied to participate in a very high profile lawsuit against this dept.

Again Thank You to the Commission and to the AZGFD.

Good job. I also want to say Thank You to the Commission and to the AZGFD.

Thanks Keith for the update. Good advice TAM if I were AZGFD I'd be expediting the draw asap. as this may not be over in our litigation friendly society. Cabelas was weakly trying to cover their butts IMO. Thanks Cabelas for reminding us that you were approached and had denied participation in a very high profile lawsuit against the Dept., so very noble of you. Why even mention that? I see a high possibility of a lawsuit coming just not sure if it will be the clients v. Cabelas or clients v. AZGFD. I have to disagree with their statement about numerous false accusations, the only thing false that I saw was the actual number of applicants, everything else seemed to be right on as to what happened with their applications - they waited till the last possible minute to send their apps. and it bit them in the rear. Good job G&F you got ONE right.