Sign in to follow this  
recurveman

Montana Unlimited Sheep Hunt

Has anyone on here actually done this hunt?   I've got a tag for one of the units and I'm going to head that way in September to accept my official physical and mental beating for a couple of weeks.    I've got the gear, been training for this for 1.5 years and this adventure consumes most of my days.  As you know if you have looked into this hunt finding any info is a challenge.    Please PM me if you can help.    

Thanks,

have you tied hunttalk.com ?. there is an ongoing thread on the unlimited hunts there with a lot of information. Many of the contributors on it have killed sheep on those hunts. 

• Like 1

Recurveman,

That is awesome that you are trying the Montana unlimited units and it sounds like you have realistic expectations. I also have been researching this hunt for last couple of years. Was gonna do it this year but decided to cash in my Colorado deer points on early rifle hunt. 

I have pretty much decided what unit I will hunt and plan for 2020 season.

Wish you best of luck and check out Rokslide website for good info on the unlimited s. Also Duncan Gilchrist wrote couple books on montana sheep hunting.

Greg

On 5/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

have you tied hunttalk.com ?. there is an ongoing thread on the unlimited hunts there with a lot of information. Many of the contributors on it have killed sheep on those hunts. 

I've read everything on Hunt Talk.   Lots of info there for sure.   There are a few other sites that have info on the unlimiteds also that I've done a bunch of reading on too.   Some of those guys are tough dudes for sure.   

22 hours ago, Dirtbag said:

Recurveman,

That is awesome that you are trying the Montana unlimited units and it sounds like you have realistic expectations. I also have been researching this hunt for last couple of years. Was gonna do it this year but decided to cash in my Colorado deer points on early rifle hunt. 

I have pretty much decided what unit I will hunt and plan for 2020 season.

Wish you best of luck and check out Rokslide website for good info on the unlimited s. Also Duncan Gilchrist wrote couple books on montana sheep hunting.

Greg

I've read everything rokslide has to offer.    A great resource for sure.  I've bought and read the Gilchrist book on sheep hunting.    He has a little section on the unlimiteds but most of his book is about shooting monster sheep.  I'm honestly just trying to find a legal ram and not end up coming out the butt end of a grizzly bear.   Everything above and beyond that is just icing on the cake in my book.     

• Like 1

Please post how your unlimited hunt go's. I would be interested in hearing about it.

Once again good luck ,

Greg