recurveman

Montana Unlimited Sheep Hunt

Has anyone on here actually done this hunt?   I've got a tag for one of the units and I'm going to head that way in September to accept my official physical and mental beating for a couple of weeks.    I've got the gear, been training for this for 1.5 years and this adventure consumes most of my days.  As you know if you have looked into this hunt finding any info is a challenge.    Please PM me if you can help.    

Thanks,

have you tied hunttalk.com ?. there is an ongoing thread on the unlimited hunts there with a lot of information. Many of the contributors on it have killed sheep on those hunts. 

• Like 1

Recurveman,

That is awesome that you are trying the Montana unlimited units and it sounds like you have realistic expectations. I also have been researching this hunt for last couple of years. Was gonna do it this year but decided to cash in my Colorado deer points on early rifle hunt. 

I have pretty much decided what unit I will hunt and plan for 2020 season.

Wish you best of luck and check out Rokslide website for good info on the unlimited s. Also Duncan Gilchrist wrote couple books on montana sheep hunting.

Greg

On 5/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

have you tied hunttalk.com ?. there is an ongoing thread on the unlimited hunts there with a lot of information. Many of the contributors on it have killed sheep on those hunts. 

I've read everything on Hunt Talk.   Lots of info there for sure.   There are a few other sites that have info on the unlimiteds also that I've done a bunch of reading on too.   Some of those guys are tough dudes for sure.   

22 hours ago, Dirtbag said:

Recurveman,

That is awesome that you are trying the Montana unlimited units and it sounds like you have realistic expectations. I also have been researching this hunt for last couple of years. Was gonna do it this year but decided to cash in my Colorado deer points on early rifle hunt. 

I have pretty much decided what unit I will hunt and plan for 2020 season.

Wish you best of luck and check out Rokslide website for good info on the unlimited s. Also Duncan Gilchrist wrote couple books on montana sheep hunting.

Greg

I've read everything rokslide has to offer.    A great resource for sure.  I've bought and read the Gilchrist book on sheep hunting.    He has a little section on the unlimiteds but most of his book is about shooting monster sheep.  I'm honestly just trying to find a legal ram and not end up coming out the butt end of a grizzly bear.   Everything above and beyond that is just icing on the cake in my book.     

• Like 1

Please post how your unlimited hunt go's. I would be interested in hearing about it.

Once again good luck ,

Greg

I've been looking into this hunt over the last couple years, it's very interesting!  I know 3 things I'll have when I do it, a 45-70, .44 Mag and bear electric fencing for camp! I'll take a month off, 2 weeks before the hunt to scout the area hard before the hunt, 2 to hunt.

If you dig you can find the maps online of exactly where sheep have been seen over the last decade and some killed. I found them, had on my last phone that fried, just haven't looked them up since or I'd share them with you. Good luck.

Look up "Montana  Bighorn  Sheep Conservation  Strategy". Lots of good info in there.

I have looked into this as well and plan to do it someday. There really is a lot of good info if you dig around. 

Well this is what I did on Saturday.   11 miles, 3200 vertical feet, 9.5 hours, 12,633 feet elevation with a #30 pack.   Kicked my rear end but I made it there.   

The rest of my planning is going pretty good.   It has been an adventure and I haven't even left town yet!!!!!!  

download.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 2:29 AM, John7979 said:

Look up "Montana  Bighorn  Sheep Conservation  Strategy". Lots of good info in there.

I did and there is a bunch of good info there.    Thanks, 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:25 AM, John7979 said:

I've been looking into this hunt over the last couple years, it's very interesting!  I know 3 things I'll have when I do it, a 45-70, .44 Mag and bear electric fencing for camp! I'll take a month off, 2 weeks before the hunt to scout the area hard before the hunt, 2 to hunt.

If you dig you can find the maps online of exactly where sheep have been seen over the last decade and some killed. I found them, had on my last phone that fried, just haven't looked them up since or I'd share them with you. Good luck.

Well I'm going to bring a .308 and I'm taking a bunch of time off.   Planning on a week ahead of time to scout and at least 1 week of hunting with the option to hunt longer if needed (if the season is still open and I can handle more time in the back country)

In 2019 after a 3500 feet of elevation gain over a bunch of miles I finally made it up to about 10,500 feet.   The first 4 days were spent in a tent or around a fire because I couldn't see more than a few hundred yards due to fog.  The next week I had the opportunity to see every type of precipitation come out of the sky.    The wind rarely got under 15-20 miles an hour and frequently was 30+ with gusts up to 60+ one evening (didn't sleep that night).   So after 12 days in the backcountry I couldn't wait to go back and try it again.   

I will tell you this much.   It's not for the faint of heart.   G-bears are real (real thick) and some hunters freak out.   Most guys are done in less than 3 days.   I've seen guys not be able to sleep and they look like complete crap after 48 hours and pack up and leave.  Some don't even make it in to where the sheep are at.  I believe it is "possible" to kill a ram in the UL units but the focus of this should be the "adventure" and not the kill.   I've found that quite a few guys almost like the adventure more than the kill.    The "adventure" will be EPIC.    Not all in a good way either.   Your struggle will be real......real hard

When you think you are in sheep shape.......consider that a good start.....you are half way there.    You can't be in too good of shape for this hunt.        

If you aren't killing deer and elk every time you have a tag then it might be better to work on killing stuff before heading to the UL units.   Your opportunities will be very, very limited and you better be able to kill on demand when needed.      

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, recurveman said:

In 2019 after a 3500 feet of elevation gain over a bunch of miles I finally made it up to about 10,500 feet.   The first 4 days were spent in a tent or around a fire because I couldn't see more than a few hundred yards due to fog.  The next week I had the opportunity to see every type of precipitation come out of the sky.    The wind rarely got under 15-20 miles an hour and frequently was 30+ with gusts up to 60+ one evening (didn't sleep that night).   So after 12 days in the backcountry I couldn't wait to go back and try it again.   

I will tell you this much.   It's not for the faint of heart.   G-bears are real (real thick) and some hunters freak out.   Most guys are done in less than 3 days.   I've seen guys not be able to sleep and they look like complete crap after 48 hours and pack up and leave.  Some don't even make it in to where the sheep are at.  I believe it is "possible" to kill a ram in the UL units but the focus of this should be the "adventure" and not the kill.   I've found that quite a few guys almost like the adventure more than the kill.    The "adventure" will be EPIC.    Not all in a good way either.   Your struggle will be real......real hard

When you think you are in sheep shape.......consider that a good start.....you are half way there.    You can't be in too good of shape for this hunt.        

If you aren't killing deer and elk every time you have a tag then it might be better to work on killing stuff before heading to the UL units.   Your opportunities will be very, very limited and you better be able to kill on demand when needed.      

So you weren’t successful? We’re you able to get out and see any sheep ? Or did the weather keep you tied to the tent the whole hunt?