Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Idaho Draw

Anybody put in for the Idaho Once-In-A-Lifetime draw?

I’ve been wanting to hunt moose since college. Finally started applying this year. The odds are better than most archery bull hunts right here in AZ. Crazy.

Hopefully draw results soon, I am getting anxious.

• Like 1

Congrats. I was "not selected " for my sheep app. I killed a decent bull in Montana last year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. 

1 hour ago, wayno945 said:

Congrats. I was "not selected " for my sheep app. I killed a decent bull in Montana last year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. 

Bull Moose? What unit?

16 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Can’t believe it. I drew.

Nice!!!  What unit?!?  I drew a few years ago and if I remember correctly you said you had lived in the unit I had?  I can dial you in if that’s one (assuming you’re all over it though!).  I’m jealous.  I’ve done a lot of hunts and my Idaho moose tag was the most fun I’ve ever had on a hunt!!!  I switched to sheep and got a dear John letter again this year of course.  

Cool looking Moose!  Having not knowing much about Montana moose, is that considered above average, average or below?  I honestly have no concept of what a big Montana moose looks like.  Hopefully I ca get lucky and grab this tag in the next 10 years.

3 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Couple of pics of my bull!

D74938C0-4DEB-44CE-8AC8-946D3077D657.jpeg.e3620d6d2ed11ed3892a6a05e42eb369.jpeg3982FB34-40FC-4270-9E12-48DA53ED66C9.jpeg.d6908cfe192f01c96f7620561aa8fa0f.jpeg

I remember this thread, it actually made me decide to start applying. I had always told my self someday, when I have all the time in the world and the kids don’t have so much going on and this and that. This year I said screw it, it’s time to stop making excuses.

I drew unit 64, close to yours, but it’s not a river hunt. It will be dry farms and National Forest.

Thanks for posting the pics, I’ll be looking at a lot of those the next few months.

19 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Cool looking Moose!  Having not knowing much about Montana moose, is that considered above average, average or below?  I honestly have no concept of what a big Montana moose looks like.  Hopefully I ca get lucky and grab this tag in the next 10 years.

I don’t know what Montana’s odds are for moose, but my tag in ID for non-residents runs about 8%. I have the benefit of a lifetime license so I don’t have to contend with the NR cap. For Moose, Sheep, Mt Goat ID’s draw odds are about the best there are. In my experience there are far more moose in the areas of Idaho I have been to than in areas of Montana (I lived in Pocatello and Rexburg, ID and my parents have a summer home in Clancy, MT)

• Like 1

Mine was pretty average, about 36" but the experience was pretty epic. NonRes odds in Montana are way less than 1%, and the moose populations are way down. No glory shot because his antler shoved into the ground.

4265.jpeg

4267.jpeg

20181115_134438.jpg

20181114_095143.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Mine came out of Idaho.  It’s probably on the larger size then average.  He was 42” wide.  Didn’t score great because of narrow palms and kind of a weird layout but I didn’t care.  I wanted a mature moose and he was.  Biologist said 6.5-7.5yr old.  Best eating wild game I’ve ever had.  I actually got lucky and pulled a Montana moose tag the following year.  Not near the hunt quality and actually a way way way tougher tag to draw.   Killed a 2.5 yr old bull and it was the only moose we saw in 6 days.  Biologist told me there were only 10-15 moose in the unit and to shoot the first one I saw, cow or bull.  1F1E2A35-144E-499E-BD6D-18364077FA4A.thumb.jpeg.0e137e0bc53cd371fb2d0a2237e1520f.jpeg

That's awesome.  Im going on my first caribou trip this year and then moose is next.  Hopefully this Alaska caribou works out good and I can use the same transporter for moose the following year.  Thanks for the info on Idaho and Montana.  As you know the planning stage takes some time.