Sign in to follow this  
chuckster

Panguitch Utah General Deer

My dad and I drew the rifle hunt for Oct 9-13. What I know so far:

1. Its been a good wet spring and the big burn from a couple years ago should be looking pretty good. 
  2. Deer herd is doing very well and over population goals.
  3. Considered a meat hunt by most.  
  4. Lots of road hunters

We're going to arrive a few days early to scout and do a little trout fishing.  We want to come back with some memories and I'd like to get my dad a quality buck. I have a some spots picked out both in and out of the burn.  Anyone hunted it before or know the area?  Please PM me if you care to throw a bone my way.  

Get an Epic outdoors membership and get the hunters experience info. It is free with membership and there will be alot of references for you there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Get an Epic outdoors membership and get the hunters experience info. It is free with membership and there will be alot of references for you there.

Thanks for the tip. Have you used the hunters experience feature?

9 hours ago, chuckster said:

Thanks for the tip. Have you used the hunters experience feature?

Yes I used it last year for the bab. I think I got 8 numbers and talked to 4 or 5 people.

• Like 1

I have hunted around panguitch lake probably 12 times or more.  We always camped off pass creek road. Plenty of deer, we always go 100% even with 7 or 8 guys.

1/2 a night crawler and a marshmallow, 2 foot leader, cast it as far as you can get it. Fish by the dam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I have hunted around panguitch lake probably 12 times or more.  We always camped off pass creek road. Plenty of deer, we always go 100% even with 7 or 8 guys.

1/2 a night crawler and a marshmallow, 2 foot leader, cast it as far as you can get it. Fish by the dam.

Thank you sir.  Very encouraging!

Just spent a week up in the unit on a family vacation.  I drew that hunt too this year!  We stayed at Brian Head.  Tons of snow up on top still.  Seemed like there were deer everywhere we went below the snowline, but I didn't see any bucks.  We fished Panguitch Lake and it is now one of my new favorites!  We all caught fish and a few of us caught some big ones.  We had the most success with yellow garlic power bait balls.  Fished from the shore and no matter where we went, we were catching fish!  Awesome lake!  Not sure where I am going to start when it comes to hunting up there.  Will need to do some more research and topo surfing!  

• Like 3

We used to hunt Geese there many years ago.   Deer were all over then and driving those roads was always a white knuckler.  Deer were all over the place.    I wonder how it is nowadays?    That is one beautiful area and the fishing can be really good too.  

• Like 1