Sign in to follow this  
sprinkfitt

30/378 Build

Looking for suggestions for a builder in the valley. I have a new razor scope that needs mounted and wanting the gun dialed in and a custom turret put on. I do not have the time to do it. Thanks!!

Axisworks

• Like 2

Well that is a lot of bang for sure.   If I'm looking to build a long range gun I might be thinking of a cartridge that is a bit friendlier to shoot.   I've built a few custom guns now (one being an 11# 338 lapua with no brake) and I've found that the 270 to 300 win mag range is really fun to shoot.  Bigger typically isn't fun to shoot and if you want to crush with a long range gun you need to dent a bunch of primers......LOTS.    Now if you are OK with a 15+ pound gun then the 30-378 would be more fun to shoot and less fun to carry.   

Building one yourself is easy to do.   Only thing you need to do is find a guy to chamber your barrel.   The rest of it just screws together.   

Are you looking for a rifle build INCLUDING mounting the scope?  

Or just mounting a scope on a current .30-378 Weatherby, zeroing it, and getting load data for a custom turret (which are fine for 500 yards or so, but not so much after that)?  Factory ammo or handloads?

• Like 1

Sir.....I have owned a custom 30/378 and several other LARGE caliber rifles. I currently have several custom builds of various calibers. I can tell you from experience there is nothing fun or cheep about that round. Everything about it is expensive!!!!!

If you are looking for a long range rig...There are many much better options out there....Feel free to call me or I’m sure the gentleman on this site can suggest several options....Dave 602-228-1719

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Are you looking for a rifle build INCLUDING mounting the scope?  

Or just mounting a scope on a current .30-378 Weatherby, zeroing it, and getting load data for a custom turret (which are fine for 500 yards or so, but not so much after that)?  Factory ammo or handloads?

Pretty sure he already has the rifle. Big Medicine but will put the smack down on Elk.

I have the gun already. It has dropped 3 bulls already in there footprints between 4 and 5 hundred yards. Now i want to set it up for my upcoming hunt to get out past 1000. I bought the scope and would like someone to set it up on factory loads if possible. I do not have the time working 6 days a week to do it. I appreciate the input but i love that gun and plan on keeping it to drop hopefully many more bulls.......

• Like 1

Pre-fab turret + factory loads + stock rifle isn’t a good recipe for 1000+ yards.  Way too many variables when you get that far. If you get set up with a legit ranging system (sig kilo abs or similar) can find a load (or find someone to find a load for you) that groups 1/2-3/4 Moa and then shoot the heck out of it it’s possible, but “custom” turrets and a sighted in rifle aren’t the answer in this case. 

• Like 3

Having a gun capable of shooting 1000 yards and beyond is one thing.   Having the skill to hit a 10" circle at 1000 yards is another subject.   I know a bunch of people that have a 1000 yard gun that will shoot well under SUB MOA.    Most of the people that own those guns don't have the skill set to understand what variables affect the point of impact out past 400-500 yards.   

Simple example.   If someone sights in their gun in Phoenix and checks their dope at Ben Avery.    Then they go up to Flag to go elk hunting at 7,000'.   Then there is a 10MPH wind.   The correction for elevation is 24" and the correction for windage is 54".    Basically 2 feet high and 4.5 feet left or right.    Understanding how those variables change the point of impact is really the difference between hitting and missing an animal.   Most people think they have the skill because they own a gun capable of shooting 1000 yards.   

I was shooting in wind this weekend at 600 yards where we were aiming from dead on to 4.5 MOA off depending on wind conditions.    At 1000 yards that would be from dead on to about 8 MOA.   

All I'm saying is that there is a big difference from shooting 400 yards to shooting 1000 yards.   Practice, Practice, Practice will make a big difference.