Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Elk Impacting Your Coues Hunts?

How is the luck of the elk draw (or lack of luck) going to affect your choice of Coues hunts? Will scouting trips and hunt dates affect which hunt date you apply for?

On a side note, we may want to attend the open houses that Keith pointed out to see about any changes to the coues hunts and number of permits.

http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_776.shtml

How is the luck of the elk draw (or lack of luck) going to affect your choice of Coues hunts? Will scouting trips and hunt dates affect which hunt date you apply for?

On a side note, we may want to attend the open houses that Keith pointed out to see about any changes to the coues hunts and number of permits.

http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_776.shtml

I will still apply for my deer hunt of choice even though I did not draw an elk tag. That's why I love the OTC bear and archery deer tags. You never have to worry about not having a tag and can apply for the rifle hunts you really want.

I used to think it would be great to get drawn for a bunch of hunts every year, but anymore I just want one GOOD tag that I can spend all summer preparing for.

I might go up to my elk unit an extra couple days early, and see if I can spot a nice velvet buck while I'm pinning down where the elk are hanging!

DB, I am with you on hoping to draw one good hunt, and putting the effort and time into scouting.

With the two primo tags I drew, the September archery deer season and blue grouse on the North Kaibab will be eliminated by the antelope hunt. With an elk hunt right after Thanksgiving, that eliminates the Nov coues hunts and the season opener for Mearns. I will not put in for NM, so I can scout for AZ elk. Guess I am stuck applying for a Dec coues hunt :rolleyes:

Tyson, don't forget that archery turkey stamp for unit 8 ;)

RR

Well since i actually drew the 21 tag im gonna try for the late october Coues tag in 21. that way my scouting works twice as much for me if i draw it. with the october hunt it will give me a bit of a break before my elk hunt to really focus on the particular bull, assuming i find one in particular, and what he does after the rut. So im plannin on makin it work better for me, maybe run into a bear while im out babysittin deer and elk too ;)

RR

Yikes! Thanks for that, I've never hunted turkey before, and there are oodles up there!! I'm fantasizing about the trifecta (deer, turkey, elk!) right now!!!

Yikes! Thanks for that, I've never hunted turkey before, and there are oodles up there!! I'm fantasizing about the trifecta (deer, turkey, elk!) right now!!!

Don't forget to add bear and Abert squirrel with the bow to your fantasy

RR

i pulled off a trifecta in 6b last year all in a week except i took a antelope and missed the turkey! that would have been sweet to finish off 4 total in a week. you can do it i will be looking for the pictures from your hunt. i got my sept bull tag so now the quest begins for a wall hanger. as far as coues i am tagged out for the year but i have my boy going for a dec tag. i would have rather took him on the oct hunt but i will be in north dokota for whitetail during that time.

The elk hunt I applied for and the Coues hunt I want to apply for, are within 2 weeks of each other, and I could not take that much time off so close together.So if I drew elk, I would choose a different deer hunt. but Since I did not draw for elk, I am just hoping for that Coues tag.

Well since I didn'y get drawn this year I'm going to go archery deer in the same exact spot as my elk hunt would've been except I'll be there a few weeks earlier!(Unless I get drawn for my unit 32 Dec WT hunt) in which case I'm going bear hunting in that same spot! ;)

Doug,

I remember a while back, a thread about the proposed changes to coues hunts. Are they going to move the Nov coues hunt to that weekend after Thanksgiving? If so, I can see how a Nov. deer tag would be obsolete to the Bull tag.

I heard there will be four Coues deer hunts proposed and that the Coues hunts and the Mule deer hunts will not overlap, there will be two Nov. hunts for Coues. This is all hearsay and we will have to wait for the proposal that is going to be up for review, before we can be sure. Hopefully we will see the proposal soon, so we have more time prior to the meetings to figure out the positives and the negatives of the new guideline proposals.

Drawing a goat tag has caused me to rethink app'ing for a NM elk tag. And since my hunting partner drew a late archery bull tag he wont be app'ing with me for Coues in NM.