Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

GRONG orange anyone?

I'm tellin you folks, there must be some sort of magnetic pull to shed antlers when I'm wearing my orange shirts. First thing yesterday morning after I parked I threw up the binos and spotted a dang nice elk antler about 3/4 of a mile away right on top a ridge. For the life of me I don't know how it lasted there for the approx 2yrs it laid there w/o being seen. Good for me! Anyway, looked around for a bit for the match but couldn't find it. About an hour later and a half-mile away I glassed it up in the bottom of a small canyon. Seriously short beams in the 45-47" range I'd guess but still a 350" class bull.

IMG_5281a.jpg

Much later yesterday afternoon I walked over into another canyon and checked some oak thickets for coues sheds. As I crept along I jumped a good buck. I didn't think I'd see him again so I kept on sheddin'. I worked my down the slope and kept hearing a pfffftt kinda sound like if someone was blowing a snot rocket (sorry that's just all I can think of). I watched closely and spotted a dang nice buck shaking his head snorting. He kept smacking his left nostril with his left hind leg and he looked very irritated with something in there. I watched him for probably 5 min and the whole time he kept snorting, hitting his nose and shaking his head. I was thinking that maybe those nasty bot-fly larva were in there. YUCK!!! Must be awful having a dang worm in your nasal area..........

Anywho, after he finally got a wondeful wiff of Sir GRONG and vacated the area I continued my search. I hadn't gone more than 150 yards when I came across this shed that is off that very buck!!!

IMG_5287a.jpg

IMG_5291a.jpg

After takin pics and continuing my search about 15 minutes later I looked up the slope and that same buck was trotting along side me at about 45 yards. He must have wanted his antler back :lol: It was pretty neat getting to see him and then find a shed off of him.

I continued my search, walking slow and watching all around me when I walked up on this HOG!

IMG_5293a.jpg

IMG_5295a.jpg

It scores 46 2/8". One of the better sheds I've found in recent years. I found the same side off this buck 3 yrs ago so that's pretty cool.

Sun was quickly going down so I reluctantly took off and about a 1/4 mile down I walked up on a small 3pt set.

IMG_5298a.jpg

What a day......

IMG_5303a.jpg

Man I need to get one of them shirts....Killer finds dude ;)

I too, have had good days this year when wearing The Grong Orange CW.com shirt!!! Something about the Orange!!!

Helluva day, Josh!!!! Congrats!!

Awesome finds bro!

I got out yesterday for a few and found a fresh brown muley shed, He will go 25 wide if his other matches.

I totally dig your fishin hat :D

Atta boy Josh!

So when are you gonna take me out and teach me your ways ;)

When pigs fly..... would be a good a$$-umption...... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P :P :P :P

You left that door wide open, Chrissy!!! ;) :P :lol:

Man I think I might have to get me a "Grong orange" t-shirt. Been out a few time this spring with no luck yet. did find a backpack whose frame and straps are still in good shap though.

The more I want one o these t-shirts, the more I realize they aint orange....They're GRORANGE...Once again Josh great pics and story.

Man what a sweet day Josh! Thanks for posting up the story and pics.

Phil

GRONG...thanks for sharing them great pics of you with the sheds. :) If only I lived closer to the rim country and not here in this valley. Days off don't come never to soon during this time of year. Keep sharing your finds with us.

TJ

Yes, I can look into it. I was thinking of doing some of the next design in long sleeve.

How many of you would like to see some long sleeve shirts available?

Amanda