Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Take a woman hunting!!

This past weekend I was up in Prescott teaching classes at the Becoming an Outdoorswoman workshop. We hold three of those workshops every year and the one in Prescott generally gets about 100 women per weekend. Classes include a huge variety of outdoor activities like flyfishing, hunting, birding, kayaking, rapelling, dutch oven cooking, and tons more. Anyway, one of the classes I taught was big game hunting and the ladies mentioned several things to me that I thought you guys should be aware of. Two of the ladies said they had the "hunting fever" for years and yet didn't have anyone to teach them about hunting. one said she got the "fever" from listening to guys at an archery shop talk about their hunting adventures. One lady grew up in a hunting family in Minnesota, but the guys in the family said hunting was NOT for women and they wouldn't take her out. Another lady said she once overheard some guys saying how they didn't want their wives to go along with them, so she was worried about asking other men about taking her hunting. I assured her that most male hunters are interested in helping others learn the sport and that includes women. So please, don't make me a liar and refuse to take a woman hunting. If you see a woman showing any interest, please, please do what you can to teach her about hunting. Can you imagine having the "fever" for years and not being able to go hunting because no one would help you? I know I wouldn't be the hunter I am today if a couple male friends of mine hadn't been nice enough to invite me along AND to make me feel welcome. For women who don't marry men who hunt, or don't grow up in a hunting family, there can be a huge barrier to get into the sport.

I just saw an article in the paper (Republic?) saying that women hunters are growing fast in numbers. Please keep this going. Many of the women in my classes wanted to learn hunting so they could teach their children. Some of you might remember last fall when I took several women squirrel hunting. Some had never hunted at all and yet they were successful and LOVED it and want to go again this coming fall. So again...I plead with all you experienced hunters out there...if you know a woman who might be interested in hunting, invite her along!

Amanda

Photo of a nonhunter who became a hunter last fall and wants to teach her boys about hunting:

post-1-1207793194_thumb.jpg

I wish my wife would go hunting with me, I've tried. When my daughter gets a little older ( she's 3 ) I will definitely take her along.

There is not a better feeling that I get when my wife and 3 daughters go hunting with me.

We scout together shed hunt together etc.... I will continue to take a new hunter to the field every

chance I get.

I am a lucky man to have all four of them so addicted to the outdoors and hunting.

PS- I am sure Casey will take ALL the single gals hunting :rolleyes: Just send em his way.

I took my girlfriend on her first hunt in sept on a dove hunt and now she has a bow and gets upset if I go and she has to work or has other obligations. She puts in every hunt with us and LOVES the outdoors. She definitely has the fever. She went on her first big game hunt for fall bear, and she will be going on her first deer hunt this year, either archery or rifle, depending on if we get drawn <_<

There is not a better feeling that I get when my wife and 3 daughters go hunting with me.

We scout together shed hunt together etc.... I will continue to take a new hunter to the field every

chance I get.

I am a lucky man to have all four of them so addicted to the outdoors and hunting.

PS- I am sure Casey will take ALL the single gals hunting :rolleyes: Just send em his way.

Actually, I enjoy taking ladies out hunting with me! Azpackhorse and I took one of my lady friends Roxy on a pig hunt in 36b. The week before she came down to camp and saw me shoot a couple of coyotes, and we shot our bows together. It was a good time!

Are you kidding, Hunting and the outdoors was a prerequisite!

My wife had never hunted, fished, or even gone camping ever before she met me. Now she is a much better shot and out fishes me all the time.

She is a huge advocate for getting women into the out doors. They seem to listen more when it comes from my wife but I still tell all who will listen about the greatness of the doors.

Pictures speak volumes in showing the wonders of the outdoors...........

:ph34r:

Casey, that whopper trout was Felicia's first flyfishing all by herself trout. It's a little brookie from a secret creek in AZ, caught on a foam post Parachute Adams

I have tried to get my wife to go hunting and put in for the draws, but I have no luck in doing so. She however loves going hiking with me looking for horns, scouting, or maybe just a cruise through the back country. My 10yr old daughter on the other hand loves shooting and can not wait to see if she draws a deer tag this year, and oh boy, I hope she does. Maybe I could scrounge up some pics and post them of my daughter out with me.

Some woman are more likely to start hunting if they can get into shooting. I take a lot of woman shooting because my daughters both love to shoot--my youngest loves to hunt but my oldest doesn't want to kill anything. My point is, i took both of them shooting and then out of the two one of them caught the "fever"--now she gets a lot of her friends to shoot and go hunting with us.

The more the better i say--if the woman want to get into the hunt then i would have not problem taking them out and showing them what i know--they then can take that and make it better as most woman look at hunting with a different attitude than men--we want to kill the biggest and they want to enjoy the entire experience--we men could take some lessons from the gals on that one.

Mr. Smith's trout looks like upper Canyon Creek to me!! It has a old canal that runs off the actual river and is loaded with fish. Just my guess though

I enjoy my Wife's hunting success more than my own. It is so awesome to share those momments with her. Not to mention that she has killed bigger stuff than I have! :blink: :D

post-996-1207842548.jpg

post-996-1207842687.jpg

post-996-1207842707.jpg

post-996-1207842817.jpg