Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

Snakes

I was talking with my boss today and he was telling me that he transported a 6 year old to the hospital this weekend that had been bitten by a rattler, and I seen a report today that a ten year old was bitten yesterday.

I have lived in arizona most of my life and only seen two rattelsnales my whole I guess i am lucky.

I've been here 15 years and have never seen one.

I'm going to count myself lucky! I've heard too many stories of people getting bit.

Be careful out there!

Have you guys ever even seen them on the road, I have seen thirty plus in one night on the road, I have seen two in the middle of the lake (alamo), and one in the middle of the verde river. I have seen more while fishing than when I am hunting, and while hunting it seems like I have seen the most while dove hunting. The one last year on my elk hunt scared me probably the worst though, I couldn't hear it and it was dark so I couldn't see it either, luckily my brother heard it, and we found it about three or four feet directly in front of me with the flashlights.

I had this story sent to me and the pics are pretty graphic.

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/

I've seen the most when dove hunting. I've seen quite a few of the green rattlers fishing on the black river on the San Carlos

I saw 3 rattle snakes today at work, that make 5 in the last month :o . Seems the hot weather really has them coming out more. Got a picture of a bobcat today too!

I was out on a field trip for a range class and half a dozen people stepped right over an Arizona Black Rattler before it stating buzzing. I was the next to step over it. Scaried the crap out of me. There were a half a dozen lucky people that day.

I saw a black rattlesnake coiled in "attack mode" and squared-off against a Kaibab squirrel in the middle of a busy forest service road near Munds Park. The squirrel could have bailed in any one of 350 degree directions, but for some inexplicable reason - just stood up to the snake within about 12-18"s. He scampered off after our truck stopped a yards away.

Perhaps he was trying out for the next Geico commercial? :blink:

I had a friend on a float tube at one of the bass lakes north of phx, a rattler was swimming in the lake and was coming towards him, thinking that he was "land' and he said he swatted at the thing with his fly rod and use his flippers to get it to go away, finally the snake turned away

They're coming out, I've had some real close encounters lately and I'm deaf so it gets quite scary when I think I'm coming up to one soon

I just wacked one in my backyard today with my bow.

I was in the house taking a power nap :rolleyes: when my daughters came in telling me that our dog was barking at the bush :o My dog was staying about 10' away from the rattler when I got out there .

To make a long story short he got wacked. Just to dang close to my family!

We had one coiled on our back doorstep in Tucson in November. I cannot tell you how many I've seen in a long lifetime here, but I do remember a few that were especially memorable.

1. Stepped on one when I got out of my truck to unload trash at a landfill. I don't know why it didn't bite me. I cut off its head wtih a shovel.

2. Was climbing up a shale slope on all fours to get out of the Black River Canyon, and one buzzed almost in my face. I leaped backward, then went around it.

3. Went to pick up a quail I'd shot, and the damned thing had crawled about two feet up a bush. Its head and mine were about two feet apart when it buzzed.

4. Had one hit my boot sole when I slid under a rusted-out Model T Ford body I'd found on a hillside at a mine and hauled home to trade for Model A parts.

There were lots more, but that's enough. I hate the damned things!

Bill Quimby

One time on 19A archery antelope hunt, I was crawling though some waste high grass, sneaking up on a buck when I came face to face with a 14' rattler that was 18" around and had 3 rows of 6" fangs. At least that is how big I remember him after regaining consciousness.

One time on 19A archery antelope hunt, I was crawling though some waste high grass, sneaking up on a buck when I came face to face with a 14' rattler that was 18" around and had 3 rows of 6" fangs. At least that is how big I remember him after regaining consciousness.

Been there and done that on the same hunt. :o :lol: :lol:

I saw a black rattlesnake coiled in "attack mode" and squared-off against a Kaibab squirrel in the middle of a busy forest service road near Munds Park. The squirrel could have bailed in any one of 350 degree directions, but for some inexplicable reason - just stood up to the snake within about 12-18"s. He scampered off after our truck stopped a yards away.

I'll bet you this is the squirrel you saw.

t1_squirrel_nuts.jpg

I'll bet you this is the squirrel you saw.

t1_squirrel_nuts.jpg

nice! :lol: :lol: